Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How many of us Quilt on a Treadle? >

How many of us Quilt on a Treadle?

How many of us Quilt on a Treadle?

Old 08-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
I am wondering. Do you guys use walking feet on your treadles?
Also is there darning feet available? For FMQ

All I have id the regular foot and some others but nothing for quilting
I have never even tried a walking foot for any of my machines. I just drop the feed dogs loosen the presserfoot tension and FMQ like a mad man!!

Billy
Old 08-02-2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

I have never even tried a walking foot for any of my machines. I just drop the feed dogs loosen the presserfoot tension and FMQ like a mad man!!

Billy
Interesting I would have never thought :P
I dont know why I am afraid to sew without the presser foot. I have heard of others doing it even on new machines but I have a fear
:mrgreen:
Old 08-03-2010, 03:31 AM

Yes Abbyquilts,

Walking foot and a darning foot are available. One of the darning feet I came across is very small and stubby, like most of the foot was broken off and you have shank and ankle left. It was intended by the sales brochures to be used for darning and mending along with FMQ. Another looks just like the metal and plastic spring action you see for modern machines. I have also found a 1/4" piecing foot for my singer 127. It is in the mail. Don't know how it is going to work yet.

The walking foot adds a little extra noise to the rattle and clank symphony of treadling, kind of fun But does feed the sandwich layers better when squeezing a row of stitches up at the edge of a squishy sandwich.

Aardie.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:53 AM
Power Poster

I got my treadle recently and all it needed was cleaning and a belt. I made a quilt top on it and what a pleasure! (about the 1950s)

Now I am quilting it on another vintage machine, a little bigger, and electric, but wow, all that room in the throat makes for easy sewing. (About the 1950s too)

A question - one of the drawers in the treadle cabinet is locked and I can't get it open. Any suggestions?
Old 08-03-2010, 04:12 AM

Stitchnripper,

Do you have any idea what shape the key is supposed to be?

Is the key hole a straight line up and down, side to side, diagonal,

Triangle shaped keyhole,

Or skeleton key hole: round end but long straight body?

If it is only one straight line/slot, look around for a very very tiny screw driver like for tightening eyeglasses. Gently, gently see if it will loosely fit through the slot enough to engage the inner lock parts. Maybe 1/4" or a touch more.

Now, on a drawer that is not locked, take the drawer out of the cabinet so you can watch the lock and won't accidentally lock a second drawer ;-)

Try the small screw driver in the drawer lock you are holding, softly, softly twist the screw driver between two finger tips.

Do not grip the screw driver in your palm with a full hand and give it a big turn. If you use too much force and the lock is weak, you will probably break the lock or your drawer.

If you are lucky enough to have the right small screw driver, and the lock won't turn, oil it, leave it sit for a while, go back and gently jiggle and try again. After a couple of oilings it should turn.

If you get the hand of turning the lock on the drawer that you are holding, then go to the locked drawer in the cabinet and give it a go.

If you have a lock that is triangular, or skeleton, I haven't found a safe tool yet to get those open, but there are many keys on eBay for $4.00 to $9.00 each day.

Let us know how it works out.

Aardie.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I got my treadle recently and all it needed was cleaning and a belt. I made a quilt top on it and what a pleasure! (about the 1950s)

Now I am quilting it on another vintage machine, a little bigger, and electric, but wow, all that room in the throat makes for easy sewing. (About the 1950s too)

A question - one of the drawers in the treadle cabinet is locked and I can't get it open. Any suggestions?
My treadle has 6 drawers- 3 on each side, beautiful cabinet, rounded drawers. I have to reach up under on either side and push a rod that releases all 3 drawers. I suppose that was the way of 'child proofing' when this machine was made. I learned about the rod opening after a lot of %&*&%$^##@*&, LOL
Good luck opening yours!
Old 08-03-2010, 05:15 AM

Ok this has me wondering, I know I am the minority here being a guy and all (you will never here me complain about being surrounded by women :D ) but how many of us quilt on a treadle?

It can either be making the top to doing the entire quilt like I do. And if you do what kind of machine do you use?

To me a quilt is like a piece of art that tells a story either about the quilter or something important to the quilter. When it is done on a treadle for me it takes it to a whole nother level, like going back in time and touching a piece of living history. When I am in my shop quilting with my treadle its like all time stopped at the door and I am back in the late 1800's to early 1900's depending on the machine I am using.

And after I finish a project I will hand embroider the date and the machine it was made on just to give it the final touch.

Billy
I use to use a Singer treadle an elderly friend gave me back in the 80s. My husband decided he was going to do some renovation of our bedroom so I put my machine and other things in the garage so they wouldn't be in his way. My sister and I had planned a getaway to Maine for that weekend. Well, my husband couldn't find some of the tools he needed for the renovation because the garage was so overloaded. Well, out of frustration with the crammed garage he decided to hold a spontaneous yard sale (we lived on a very busy road). Well, you guessed it... he sold my treadle to someone for $75. Once I returned and learned about his great yard sale and all the money he made (and discovered my treadle was sold) I let him know he had to replace it... and that is when I got my Singer Quantum LE. He has never made that mistake again, and I've been collecting new machines ever since.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:36 AM

I have an industrial treadle from 1910. It's a Singer 31-20. It's a huge beast but I havn't actually used it yet. Still looking for needles and my DH wants to do some wood work on it. I use my Singer 128 handcrank for sewing. It can go anywhere and be used anytime. I love handcranks. I also have my DH's grandmothers treadle but that is stored at his mom's house.(She gave it to me but I have no room). I have another one that is ta friends garage waiting to be picked up. I just got a singer 15 in a parlour cabinet......long story and she is smooth as silk to treadle. I am anxious to get her going but I am sending it to my master wood worker .... my Dad. He does miracles with wood and I know that he will enjoy working on it this winter.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Banned

Billy
Interesting I would have never thought :P
I dont know why I am afraid to sew without the presser foot. I have heard of others doing it even on new machines but I have a fear
:mrgreen:
I leave the foot on I would never think about taking the foot off that sounds like an accident waiting to happen!!

Billy
Old 08-04-2010, 05:34 PM

I have heard of people doing that instead of using a darning foot. How can you FMQ with a foot on. Does the quilt slide around?

Thats why I am afraid of sewing without the foot as I dont want to lose a finger. I kinda like mine. Nothing fancy just standard fingers but they are mine :D