Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How many of us Quilt on a Treadle? >

How many of us Quilt on a Treadle?

How many of us Quilt on a Treadle?

Old 10-14-2009, 07:54 AM
Banned

Dont feel bad I cant type too good right now myself. I cut a hunk of my finger off a couple days ago and now I am out of commission. :cry:

As far as sewing polyester you would have to play with the upper and lower tensions for it to sew right and the speed of which you are treadling but the stitch would not give with the material when it stretched.

My treadle is an 1898 Singer......Do you have any tips, on how to bring it back into service after it has been idle for sometime?
A good thorough cleaning and oiling is all that it needs so long as it has not been sitting where there is any moisture and parts are rusted.

Take the head out of the treadle (two grub screws under the bottom of the machine at the hinge area). Pull the inspection plates off of it including the face plate, needle plate, and shuttle plates (I am assuming that it is a VS machine). Clean the machine outside or in your garage or carport because the next step will be a little messy.

You can take a small pan of Kerosene and a cheap 1" paint brush and start cleaning the lint, old oil, and dirt that might be inside of the needlebar assembly and then under the machine and where ever you can get at to clean the mechanics of it inside of the pillar. Be careful not to get too much on the finish of the machine if you do you can always hit it with some polish to take the residue off and make it shine like a new penny.

After it dries in a few hours or so then you can take your sewing machine oil and oil everywhere that metal touches metal in the mechanics (if you need an oiling chart then PM me and I should have one).

When you clean the finish on the machine use a NON PUMICE hand cleaner like Go Jo and a fist full of cotton balls and Q Tips and a roll of paper towels. Test an area to make sure it will not hurt the finish, if it is good then start cleaning the head but you should work in small areas and take your time doing this part. Be very careful around the decals because you can get them to the silver if you are not careful. Wipe off the residue with clean soft cloth and polish the machine.

Take a good polish like a carnuba wax or Liquid Gold furniture polish and go over the machine. Test an area on the rear of the machine like the back of the pillar to see if the polish is compatible with the finish of the machine first before you start the all over polishing.

The japan formula was just a relevant one and no two batches were ever the same. Also depending on where and when the machine was allotted, the type of shellac that they used for the top coat will be different.

I hope this helps you and anyone else who might want to get a vintage sewing machine up and going again.

Billy
Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 AM

Billy,
Thanks for all the information. I will give it a go.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:30 AM

Wow!!! I wish I knew you way back when I got my treadle!!!! Mine had been sitting in a breezeway for several years before I came across it..no protection from heat or cold, but at least it was out of the elements. I was only 16 when I got it. I took the whole thing apart..including the cabinet. I stripped the cabinet and refinished that, then played with the machine to get it going. It was very much trial and error for a teenage girl...but I enjoyed every minute of it.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Banned

This is the treadle set up that I use in my shop that I have remodeled in my backyard. The table has a leaf that I can add that will make it a full 140" long and believe me it makes life really nice having the extra room for king size quilts.

I have different machines that I can use in the table all I have to do is pull a machine out of my wall unit I built and find the appropriate plate that fits said machine and I am in business. I can even use some of the industrials like the Singer 29 with this set up.

Billy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-4963.jpe  
Old 10-16-2009, 07:16 AM

I have 6 treadles, and one handcrank(Along with 5 other machines)
Aside from sewing at my quilting group, I don't use electric sewing machines - I do virtually all of my sewing on a treadle, I find it very relaxing and when you get used to it(I sewed 6 hours straight) it is very easy.
I'm a member of Treadleon.net (their list) and I love it - all of you who are looking for a treadle, or want information on a treadle, join the list!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Banned

I am a member of the NeedleBar and if you like antique and vintage machines there is a lot of great information there for you. Also we have the most extensive photo library of machines and related items on the net, so if you want to identify a mystery machine that is the place to go.

Kind of like this site if you want to know about quilting then this is the only place to go for the information!

A lot of great people here to help you along!! :D

Billy

(who needs all the help he can get :lol: )
Old 10-16-2009, 09:36 AM

I'm also a member of needlebar, but I find I get answers a lot faster on TO!
Old 10-16-2009, 07:06 PM

I do quilt on mine Especially in a Thunder storm or some sort o Black -Out, They are Wonderful U canhave so much fun and do your quilting even though the Power is in a tissy!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Google Goddess

I would love to find an old treadle machine as I was just reading this thread and found this article

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/hom...g-machine.html
Old 08-02-2010, 09:16 AM

I am wondering. Do you guys use walking feet on your treadles?
Also is there darning feet available? For FMQ

All I have id the regular foot and some others but nothing for quilting