Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How to safely pack a sewing machine >

How to safely pack a sewing machine

How to safely pack a sewing machine

Old 06-22-2018, 09:51 AM

Default How to safely pack a sewing machine

I have a 306W that was my Mom's. The storage case is long gone, but the machine is on the wooden base. I'd like to bring it home with me on the plane the next time I visit. My question is, how can I pack it so it won't be damaged. Can the wooden box be easily removed and wrapped separately from the machine to prevent damage? Can I wrap it in bubble wrap, put it in a box and then put it in a heavy duty outer box? The airline says it's ok to carry it on the plane, but I'm worried about the weight of it because it is heavy. Does anyone know how much it weighs? What does the storage case look like, maybe I can find one? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Franny514; 06-22-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:20 AM

I've had machines that I ordered delivered to my house and arrive in good shape. They were all heavily wrapped with bubble wrap and then surrounded with those styrofoam peanuts. The boxes they came in were HUGE. I'm sure you couldn't take it on the plane with you. I could barely pick up one of them! When you asked the airline, did you mention how large the box would be?
Old 06-22-2018, 10:30 AM

You have to pack it parachute-jump-proof. Spend some time and money on the packaging, wrap it carefully in bubble wrap, wind it aorund the harp and knobs, carfully around the base. The base can stay on, but make it sort of a double packaging. Wrap it all fully in tape and yards of bubble wrap. The outer box must be filled with styrofoam or more bubble wrap, and it has to be stable enough for the wrapped machine to stay sourrounded by the insulation, the machine must stay in center of it even when pushed around. It's a bit of work, used bubble wrap is fine as long as it's in good condition. I think there is an older thread on this some where.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:11 PM

Parachute-jump-proof, ok. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2018, 01:54 PM

Whoever told you it would be OK to take it on the plane possibly did not know that you were NOT talking about a modern, compact, sewing machine. An older machine, needing to be heavily padded and wrapped, will not fit in the overhead! I would be concerned about having it go as cargo...can't think of the right word for that...but if it is heavily padded and double boxed it might be OK.

checked baggage...that's the word...
Old 06-22-2018, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Franny514 View Post
Parachute-jump-proof, ok. Thanks!
Perhaps not the most accurate way to describe it, but there has been a few horror cases in handeling packages. If you can take it as hand luggage, you will have more control. I think there is a weight limit, 10 kg. There is a chance they can take a suite case / carry type case and store it on the floor some where near your seat. It should be easier since it's not an international flight, security is very strict these days and I'm not sure if the procedure has changed lately. When you ceck-in your colli at the desk, it has to be packed sercurely to be literally thrown on and off wagons and those baggage carousel / roller coaster delivery systems.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:46 PM

I kind of like "parachute-jump-proof".
Old 06-22-2018, 05:23 PM

I talked to the women TSA agents while I was waiting to go through security. I told them I has an old 1950? sewing machine that was my Mom's and I want to bring it home with me on my next trip. They said I can carry it on or check it. Just wrap it up good. I measured the machine but I didn't weigh it because I didn't have a scale to use.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Last edited by Franny514; 06-22-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:44 PM

I was wondering if you could carry it on or would check it.

I have read about bubble wrapped machines that things shifted and ended up popping the bubbles, so there was virtually no protection, Probably the type of plastic foam that pool noodles are made of would be sturdier and protect better.

An old thread on flying with sewing machines can be found at Flying With Sewing Machine Some other links for packing machines can be found http://web.mit.edu/xiphmont/Singer/m...s-packing.html and http://ismacs.net/sewing_machine_art...g-machine.html
I'm sure there are a lot of posts and links about how NOT to pack for shipping besides http://www.victoriansweatshop.com/po...-heavy-8116214 but Steve also started a thread about how it should be done at http://www.victoriansweatshop.com/po...ipment-7927515

Happy sewing.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:12 PM

Thank you all for your helpful information.