Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How to turn a old sewing machine into a lamp? >

How to turn a old sewing machine into a lamp?

How to turn a old sewing machine into a lamp?

Old 07-27-2017, 02:28 AM

Default How to turn a old sewing machine into a lamp?

I have this old New Home sewing machine. I want to repaint the sewing machine and turn it into a lamp. I am having trouble finding directions on how to do this. I want the light part to come out of the top part of the machine not at the side. Has anyone seen any directions for doing this on the web or tell me how to do this? (Just to let you know this machine is in bad shape and is only good for parts. I would never do this to a good sewing machine)
Old 07-27-2017, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

here are a lot of picture ideas https://www.google.com/search?q=turn...HUbDBjYQsAQIJw
Old 07-27-2017, 03:28 AM
Power Poster

this person turns lots of things into lamps, but no specific instructions for a machine. looks like he drills holes and uses threaded parts. http://www.robomargo.com/lamps.html
Old 07-27-2017, 04:42 AM

I'm not familiar with a New Home, but what you need is a hole through the top to accomplish your chore. If it has a hole where you want it, all you do is buy the lamp parts and assemble. Most lamps are built around an "all thread" (not sure of that spelling). It's a rod that is threaded all the way down. The wires go up through the rod. The lightbulb part screws onto the all thread and there is usually a nut type arrangement on the bottom that holds it all together.

You'll notice that most of the sewing machine lamps have the rod coming out of an existing hole that is not where you say you want it. Or, it comes up behind it. It's difficult to drill a hole in cast iron. That's what you have to figure out - how to drill that hole. There are some youtube videos on drilling it. Most of those are about drilling a hole in a sink, however. Being a curved surface makes it more difficult.

Good luck.

bkay
Old 07-28-2017, 09:59 AM

When I started this project I really didn't think it would be this hard to find directions on doing it? There is lots of picture of sewing machines made into lamps but no directions. Maybe I am just making this project harder then it really needs to be. Thanks for all the advise. I should be able to come up with something that will work.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:39 AM

Just drove through Martensdale on Thurs., on my way to the Warren Co 4H & FFA Fair in Indianola.