Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetically, if you needed to downsize your collection ...

Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    I had a garage sale this summer and made about $700. It was $600+ worth of sewing machines and the rest was other things. DH said we'd probably never have another garage sale, but I could advertise a sewing machine sale any time I wanted. It wouldn't have been worth the time without the machines.
    I had one a couple of months ago (in Winter, but ours is nothing like yours) and sold also sold sewing machines and it was probably 75% of what we sold.
    People don't know they want one until you put it in the street, it seems
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family (1886) 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 96k41 (1947) 103K (1950) 2 x 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959) 331K4 (1964) 451K145 (1960)
    Pfaff:360 (1959) Necchi Supernova Julia http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
    I LOVE AUCTIONS!!! I have to sit on my paddle though...
    My GF and I went to one last June, with her warning me all the way there not to make any impulse bids, especially sewing machines. A really dirty '30s Jones came up and some idiot bought it. Asked GF who'd buy that? She was still holding the paddle up!
    She needs constant supervision, but you need a hundred folks like her at the auction, then everyone will walk away happy.
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family (1886) 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 96k41 (1947) 103K (1950) 2 x 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959) 331K4 (1964) 451K145 (1960)

I am following this thread. I am currently listing a Hinterberg quilting frame and a treadle red eye on craigslist. No takers yet.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    I am following this thread. I am currently listing a Hinterberg quilting frame and a treadle red eye on craigslist. No takers yet.
    From Miriam's experience, you might do better if you put a few dozen spelling errors in and add a zero or two to the price

I think there is a yahoo group for selling machines, Sewitsforsale. You might try that for a more captive audience. I haven't used them or bought from it, I just know it exists. It is a closed group so you have to email for membership.
    -Ashley
    "The biggest blessing is aggressive pressing"
    Mom to Max (Am. Cocker Spaniel) and Charlie (Orange Tabby)

Quote Originally Posted by trivia42 View Post
    I think there is a yahoo group for selling machines, Sewitsforsale. You might try that for a more captive audience. I haven't used them or bought from it, I just know it exists. It is a closed group so you have to email for membership.
    I have to say my eyes glaze over when reading rules, so have never read the QB ones. Tammi, perhaps you could just list your excess machines on your web site with pics and prices.
    Although I'm not in contention I'd love to see them anyway.
    Like you said earlier, you have a domain, why not put it to very good use, especially if CL and Kijiji are a dead loss (that *might* be an Irish-ism).

Blog Entries
    I don't do well with typos and spelling errors. Most people who buy machines are smarter than that. A lot of guys buy machines. I think their wives don't want them touching theirs. The cost for cleaning a computerized machines is more than the cost of one of my used machines. Most of the time people just sew straight stitches. Why not just a machine that does straight stitches? Some people buy the machines to save wear and tear on their computerized machines.

I think one REAL problem is kids. They are scared to DO anything - they aren't taught anything. Most of them don't even have library cards. When I had machines around kids in September most were afraid of the needle.
    Here are some pics of kids afraid of needles:
    Name:  heartnut 010.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  139.9 KB
    and
    Name:  heartnut 012.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  142.1 KB
    The second one was pretty funny. My DGD had to do the needle end because he was that afraid of the needle but he wanted to sew.
    I wonder at what age they get past the fear - or do they never?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    We are not supposed to sell machines on here... But I agree it is the best source for the right folks, so, I made a "album" with my "tradable" machines. Folks can PM me if they are interested in one.
    I didn't know that! I purchased a machine on here about a year or so ago. Have they changed the rules?
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

I will look more seriously into eBay then. It strikes me that I sent a package to bearisgrey for a similar price as something I sent to BC and the BC package was lighter and smaller. You may be completely right. I think that Canada Post's pricing has changed too though.[/QUOTE]

Shipping on eBay is the buyer's cost, not yours. PayPal also protects your transaction from scammers.

Deb

Couldn't it be possible for QB to host a "Vintage Sewing FS" category? I guess I didn't read the rules adequately, because I kind of wondered about the yard sale section, and why it didn't get used for this purpose.

Blog Entries
    The biggest problems are shipping and costs of shipping - honesty on both the buyer and seller's part - also QB doesn't want to have anything to do with sorting out problems that could occur. I put my stuff on CL if a QB member wants to contact me fine and dandy. I rarely post stuff for sale on here though. That said I have 168 machines that need homes. There are all sorts.

Very informative thread! And Cecilia you are a hoot!

I just skimmed the QB selling rules. They look like they mostly apply to fabric and a modern machine here and there. Surely the power that be know this is an active part of QB and serviced machines listed for a decent price would be acceptable.
    I would PM a mod and inquire. I can't say I have ever seen one or needed to see one in this section.
    Anastasia - I like to sew square things.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    The biggest problems are shipping and costs of shipping - honesty on both the buyer and seller's part - also QB doesn't want to have anything to do with sorting out problems that could occur. I put my stuff on CL if a QB member wants to contact me fine and dandy. I rarely post stuff for sale on here though. That said I have 168 machines that need homes. There are all sorts.
    Yep. A lot of the time, the shipping would cost more than the price of the machine.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
    Yep. A lot of the time, the shipping would cost more than the price of the machine.
    I agree most sewing machines are not worth shipping, the trick is to find the models in very good condition that are in demand that make the time and expense of shipping worthwhile. It's much more cost effective to ship 5-10 machines then 1-2 since you can buy shipping material in bulk locally or from Uline. I estimate it cost me around $8 to double box a machine with bubble wrap, foam, and other odds and ends--all paid for materials not scavenged which would be cheaper if available. Might as well sell other odds and ends on the net around the house while you have the packing material. The CL or selling local alternative is not good for me and I'd be doing well to get what I paid for the machines. I'm no SM selling guru just sell a machine or two a month for fun.

Jon

Jon

I buy a lot of things on eBay and have recently bought 3 - Singer 301's. I can't say they were cheap at all. I have only had one problem ever and I have bought 6 Singer 221/222's off of eBay. My one problem was with the packing. I now know to ask for a specific way of packing. If you watch eBay for a bit, you will see who the reputable buyers and sellers are. I always look at an unknown buyer's feedback, including what sort of items he has sold. If I buying a sewing machine and he sells mostly comics, I keep looking.

Here's an idea for you. Connect with a sewing group or guild. Offer to do a free lecture on vintage sewing machines with the understanding that these machines are for sale. Explain the various features and tell why vintage machines are better. Show the differences between the various machines. Allow people to try them. Explain what you to to recondition them. See what happens! At worst, you have lugged some machines. At best, you have a bunch of customers. Christmas is coming, and this is a good time for gift buying.

I'd be interested to know what you have for sale.

Cricket

Kinder eggs...we discovered them in Canada this summer. They don't sell them in the U.S. because apparently someone thinks they are dangerous!

I know where you're coming from. I have bought from Goodwill online and been pleased and I've sold quite a few FW's on our local Craigslist - but - most people just want to see the photos and try to talk you down. Billy who used to be on the QB told me he had shipped many of them with few problems - and told me how to pack them - but warned me that you have to be prepared to have them fall off of a 36" counter at the post office as well as the other delivery companies. So, I only sell in my local middle TN. area and do not ship. I wish I could, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyncat View Post
    Kinder eggs...we discovered them in Canada this summer. They don't sell them in the U.S. because apparently someone thinks they are dangerous!
    I was wondering what "kinder eggs" were! It looks like our ban may have been lifted.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...t-8539723.html
    Sheila

I've been thinking about this. Quilt guilds rent spaces to vendors at their annual shows. Why not be a vendor at a small quilt show? I would not be able to resist you,

Often all that I see at quilt shows are featherweights, lol, even I a featherweight lover, get tired of seeing just featherweights for sale!!

Have your machines set up, demonstrate, explain their history --SOLD$$$$$
    Never met a scrap of fabric or vintage sewing machine I didn't like!
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
    I was wondering what "kinder eggs" were! It looks like our ban may have been lifted.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...t-8539723.html
    The same people that think vitamins are dangerous think everything else is dangerous. Don't breathe - you might die... yup sooner or later you will if you don't.......... don't teach kids to sew - they might sew their finger. Don't ride a bike you might fall off. Govt is just looking out for all of us......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
    I've been thinking about this. Quilt guilds rent spaces to vendors at their annual shows. Why not be a vendor at a small quilt show? I would not be able to resist you,

Often all that I see at quilt shows are featherweights, lol, even I a featherweight lover, get tired of seeing just featherweights for sale!!

Have your machines set up, demonstrate, explain their history --SOLD$$$$$
    How much do they charge for a booth? Would a person have to charge an arm and a leg to make up the booth space? Do people carry that much money to a quilt show?

I could find out what our guild charges, but you would not need a whole booth you could do a half booth, or a quarter. And yes they carry cash, lots sometimes and credit cards.

I would put color front and center draw them in like bees to honey. A sweet little green 185, class 15 clones in various colors! 301's in all colors, that would be a big seller. .
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

As a guild member our guild allows members to sell machines - 10% goes to guild. A while back before I knew anything at all I bought two 99k's and a crinkle grey White just because I HAD to!!!

Susan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast