Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Hypothetically, if you needed to downsize your collection ... >

Hypothetically, if you needed to downsize your collection ...

Hypothetically, if you needed to downsize your collection ...

Old 10-20-2013, 01:38 AM
Power Poster

Finding color or cool machines isn't any problem. FWs - too much investment most of the time.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Redsquirrel View Post
From my experience, you can't get rid of anything fast unless you sell if for CHEAP. Around here if you put a nice machine on Kijiji for $60 you'll probably sell it pretty quick. Of course it depends on the machine and cabinet or case, but for the most part around Calgary, you won't get anything for your machines.
I wonder if that's why I've found some of the best deals I've had in Calgary and Airdrie. It looks like we might only have been about a year behind then. This time last year, I had 3 or 4 sales a day every weekend. I'd love that again, it would clear the place out really fast.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
It is still unresolved, too. Here is my latest CL ad - enjoy: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/art/4131884795.html - I have had a couple reply emails.
The Gov't shutdown and the issues with the US' debt ceiling are making some non-Americans nervous as well.
I love your ad. I've seen a few of the iterations that you've made. You get about the same number of replies that I do to a legitimate ad, maybe more.

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
You are very welcome. I LOVE AUCTIONS!!! I have to sit on my paddle though...
There was a lady who should have been sitting on her paddle at the auction we were at. She kept bidding on crafting stuff, and saying that her husband was going to kill her, and telling the auction kids that they knew where her van was... I was convinced that some of the stuff being auctioned off was just changing barns.

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
I had one a couple of months ago (in Winter, but ours is nothing like yours) and sold also sold sewing machines and it was probably 75% of what we sold.
People don't know they want one until you put it in the street, it seems
This I have found too. I wonder if my last 2 ads have been -too- informative.... "Come see it, take it home... "

My GF and I went to one last June, with her warning me all the way there not to make any impulse bids, especially sewing machines. A really dirty '30s Jones came up and some idiot bought it. Asked GF who'd buy that? She was still holding the paddle up!
She needs constant supervision, but you need a hundred folks like her at the auction, then everyone will walk away happy.
OK, I LOL'ed. I was so afraid that would be me at that auction. I waited to see what would happen with the FW< then I left without even seeing the other 2 sell. I left with a pocketbook intact. I may have been the only one based on the stuff I saw people buying. Auction fever!

Originally Posted by trivia42 View Post
I think there is a yahoo group for selling machines, Sewitsforsale. You might try that for a more captive audience. I haven't used them or bought from it, I just know it exists. It is a closed group so you have to email for membership.
Yes, I think I will sign up for this too. And do as Mike suggested, post them on my site. It's just going to take time, because I'm currently trying to clear space in the basement, and that's possibly literally killing me. Holy Cow am I ever sore! I don't know I'd want to lift a camera... or a phone to take pics!
Old 10-21-2013, 10:03 PM

Although I'm not in contention I'd love to see them anyway.
Like you said earlier, you have a domain, why not put it to very good use, especially if CL and Kijiji are a dead loss (that *might* be an Irish-ism).
Not an irish-ism I'm a little ashamed I didn't think of it before. I know a lot of my previous customers read my blog.

I don't do well with typos and spelling errors. Most people who buy machines are smarter than that. A lot of guys buy machines. I think their wives don't want them touching theirs.
<snip>
I think one REAL problem is kids. They are scared to DO anything - they aren't taught anything. Most of them don't even have library cards. When I had machines around kids in September most were afraid of the needle.
I wonder at what age they get past the fear - or do they never?
I've bought some of my best fixer uppers from poorly spelled ads. I've also gotten good money for the same machines, cleaned up, etc with well spelled ads. I think that a poorly spelled ad often lowers the buyer's opinion of the seller.

I think a lot of kids learn fear from their parents for the most part. "DON'T DO that!!" or yanking things away from them, or various other things. Even subconcious things. At 2 or so, they're fearless, so that tells me that they're not "born that way". Some of them never get over it. I know several adults who are afraid of tons of things, and can't figure out why I would think to take a sewing machine apart / drive on the highway / ride a motorcycle, etc.

Originally Posted by Scrappy Gram View Post
Shipping on eBay is the buyer's cost, not yours. PayPal also protects your transaction from scammers.

Deb
I've read horror stories about Paypal -always- siding with the buyer. They will refund the money without even asking you. You could have a tracking number that says the item is still in transit, and the buyer could claim that they received it broken / not as advertised, etc. Then the burden of proof is on you to get your money back, or be out the machine and the shipping.

Yes, shipping is born by the buyer, but many buyers won't even bid on something that has shipping of $50 or something, even if it's "real" shipping, not inflated for handling and packing.

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
Yep. A lot of the time, the shipping would cost more than the price of the machine.
And coming out of Canada, I would say pretty much -all- of the time.

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
I estimate it cost me around $8 to double box a machine with bubble wrap, foam, and other odds and ends--all paid for materials not scavenged which would be cheaper if available.
That's really good for packing. I went to HD, and a shipping place and estimated that to properly package it, it was going to cost about $20.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by sjdal View Post
I buy a lot of things on eBay and have recently bought 3 - Singer 301's. I can't say they were cheap at all. I have only had one problem ever and I have bought 6 Singer 221/222's off of eBay. My one problem was with the packing.
sjdal, if all the buyers were like you, more people would still be selling on ebay. I could also try Bonanza. I've heard good things about it, as compared to Ebay, though they use Paypal too.

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
Here's an idea for you. Connect with a sewing group or guild. Offer to do a free lecture on vintage sewing machines with the understanding that these machines are for sale. Explain the various features and tell why vintage machines are better. Show the differences between the various machines. Allow people to try them. Explain what you to to recondition them. See what happens! At worst, you have lugged some machines. At best, you have a bunch of customers. Christmas is coming, and this is a good time for gift buying.

I'd be interested to know what you have for sale.

Cricket

I -love- this idea!! I was supposed to do a talk on featherweights and maintenance at one of the guilds, but I haven't heard back. I should follow up and see if I can expand it to vintage machines in general.

Basically, I'm keeping the 15-90,
a 411G (I picked another one up last week though), one of the 301s, all of the featherweights, 27, VS2, 201-2 and the serger. There are a few machines in time out too that I'd love to see someone fix up - Pfaff 362, Elna something or other - I think it's a Supermatic, but it's not labelled and it's a candidate for re-painting, a 127 that I was supposed to part out, but didn't have the heart to do it - needs slide plates and a tension spring, but otherwise works, etc. There are a few that I don't know that anyone will want though - A Singer 247, a newer Kenmore - Janome made, etc.

Originally Posted by Lyncat View Post
Kinder eggs...we discovered them in Canada this summer. They don't sell them in the U.S. because apparently someone thinks they are dangerous!
I was just gobsmacked when I read that they were banned. I think I heard about that a year ago..

Originally Posted by tenngal View Post
I know where you're coming from. I have bought from Goodwill online and been pleased and I've sold quite a few FW's on our local Craigslist - but - most people just want to see the photos and try to talk you down. Billy who used to be on the QB told me he had shipped many of them with few problems - and told me how to pack them - but warned me that you have to be prepared to have them fall off of a 36" counter at the post office as well as the other delivery companies. So, I only sell in my local middle TN. area and do not ship. I wish I could, though.
There are a couple of great write ups online about how to pack a sewing machine. Basically a box within a box and a styrofoam layer between, and you should be able to shake it and hear nothing moving. The head should be packed so tight in the case with bubblewrap that the case should be hard to get on, but obviously not to the point of damage. A good pack job will take about an hour or a bit more.

The reason for the 36" fall criteria is that most of the carriers use conveyor belts. Sometimes a package gets "bumped" the wrong way and things fall. (Think corners at the airport luggage claim) The conveyor belts near the floor are fine. The ones that go up over the garage doors are scary to have things fall off of. DH used to work for DHL / Loomis. He told me about one driver who was going into the shop and had a box smash his windshield. I'd have needed the day off to go home and change my shorts, and you probably wouldn't get me in that door again.

Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
I was wondering what "kinder eggs" were! It looks like our ban may have been lifted.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...t-8539723.html
There was a story about a year ago, I think where someone wrote about almost being arrested at the Canada / US border for having "contraband". It was the dreaded Kinder Eggs. The thing I can't figure out is that the toys inside have always been in a "capsule", as long as I remember, and as an adult it was a challenge to get them open. They couldn't have been that dangerous, with a little adult supervision.

Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
I've been thinking about this. Quilt guilds rent spaces to vendors at their annual shows. Why not be a vendor at a small quilt show? I would not be able to resist you,

Often all that I see at quilt shows are featherweights, lol, even I a featherweight lover, get tired of seeing just featherweights for sale!!

Have your machines set up, demonstrate, explain their history --SOLD$$$$$
This would be great, as long as the cost of the table / portion of the table wasn't too bad! I thought about it for a quilt walk and sale that happened earlier in the year, but then found out it was a town garage sale with a quilt walk shoehorned in. Wrong venue for the quilts.

The same people that think vitamins are dangerous think everything else is dangerous. Don't breathe - you might die... yup sooner or later you will if you don't.......... don't teach kids to sew - they might sew their finger. Don't ride a bike you might fall off. Govt is just looking out for all of us......
Personally, I'm up for a little natural selection being reintroduced. I think the gene pool's getting a little contaminated...

Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
I could find out what our guild charges, but you would not need a whole booth you could do a half booth, or a quarter. And yes they carry cash, lots sometimes and credit cards.

I would put color front and center draw them in like bees to honey. A sweet little green 185, class 15 clones in various colors! 301's in all colors, that would be a big seller. .
I'm always amazed at what I see ladies leaving the quilt shows and such with. They must be well armed as far as purchasing power.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 10-21-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Duh... 247.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
How come you don't post the machines on the board for sale? Might be some of us that would like to see and maybe buy. Do you have a Bernina or a Pfaff oldie?
How do I sell machines and stash overload on the Board? can't find the right location for buying and selling
Old 04-23-2014, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MissJMac View Post
How do I sell machines and stash overload on the Board? can't find the right location for buying and selling
yup I want to know, too
Old 04-23-2014, 07:25 AM

I'm setting up a booth at 2 quilt shows this summer. I may not sell much, but am looking forward to it.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:40 AM
Banned

yup I want to know, too
Is is not here? http://www.quiltingboard.com/items-sale-trade-f20/
Old 04-23-2014, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

looks like it is all fabric and books
Old 04-23-2014, 09:02 AM

I receive emails from the Yahoo group "Sewitsforsale and I have tracked off and on....there seems to be a pretty brisk movement of items.