Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Hypothetically, if you needed to downsize your collection ... >

Hypothetically, if you needed to downsize your collection ...

Hypothetically, if you needed to downsize your collection ...

Old 10-19-2013, 11:06 AM

I buy a lot of things on eBay and have recently bought 3 - Singer 301's. I can't say they were cheap at all. I have only had one problem ever and I have bought 6 Singer 221/222's off of eBay. My one problem was with the packing. I now know to ask for a specific way of packing. If you watch eBay for a bit, you will see who the reputable buyers and sellers are. I always look at an unknown buyer's feedback, including what sort of items he has sold. If I buying a sewing machine and he sells mostly comics, I keep looking.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:41 AM

Here's an idea for you. Connect with a sewing group or guild. Offer to do a free lecture on vintage sewing machines with the understanding that these machines are for sale. Explain the various features and tell why vintage machines are better. Show the differences between the various machines. Allow people to try them. Explain what you to to recondition them. See what happens! At worst, you have lugged some machines. At best, you have a bunch of customers. Christmas is coming, and this is a good time for gift buying.

I'd be interested to know what you have for sale.

Cricket
Old 10-19-2013, 02:32 PM

Kinder eggs...we discovered them in Canada this summer. They don't sell them in the U.S. because apparently someone thinks they are dangerous!
Old 10-19-2013, 04:20 PM

I know where you're coming from. I have bought from Goodwill online and been pleased and I've sold quite a few FW's on our local Craigslist - but - most people just want to see the photos and try to talk you down. Billy who used to be on the QB told me he had shipped many of them with few problems - and told me how to pack them - but warned me that you have to be prepared to have them fall off of a 36" counter at the post office as well as the other delivery companies. So, I only sell in my local middle TN. area and do not ship. I wish I could, though.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lyncat View Post
Kinder eggs...we discovered them in Canada this summer. They don't sell them in the U.S. because apparently someone thinks they are dangerous!
I was wondering what "kinder eggs" were! It looks like our ban may have been lifted.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...t-8539723.html
Old 10-19-2013, 04:27 PM

I've been thinking about this. Quilt guilds rent spaces to vendors at their annual shows. Why not be a vendor at a small quilt show? I would not be able to resist you,

Often all that I see at quilt shows are featherweights, lol, even I a featherweight lover, get tired of seeing just featherweights for sale!!

Have your machines set up, demonstrate, explain their history --SOLD$$$$$
Old 10-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
I was wondering what "kinder eggs" were! It looks like our ban may have been lifted.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...t-8539723.html
The same people that think vitamins are dangerous think everything else is dangerous. Don't breathe - you might die... yup sooner or later you will if you don't.......... don't teach kids to sew - they might sew their finger. Don't ride a bike you might fall off. Govt is just looking out for all of us......
Old 10-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
I've been thinking about this. Quilt guilds rent spaces to vendors at their annual shows. Why not be a vendor at a small quilt show? I would not be able to resist you,

Often all that I see at quilt shows are featherweights, lol, even I a featherweight lover, get tired of seeing just featherweights for sale!!

Have your machines set up, demonstrate, explain their history --SOLD$$$$$
How much do they charge for a booth? Would a person have to charge an arm and a leg to make up the booth space? Do people carry that much money to a quilt show?
Old 10-19-2013, 04:40 PM

I could find out what our guild charges, but you would not need a whole booth you could do a half booth, or a quarter. And yes they carry cash, lots sometimes and credit cards.

I would put color front and center draw them in like bees to honey. A sweet little green 185, class 15 clones in various colors! 301's in all colors, that would be a big seller. .
Old 10-19-2013, 04:49 PM

As a guild member our guild allows members to sell machines - 10% goes to guild. A while back before I knew anything at all I bought two 99k's and a crinkle grey White just because I HAD to!!!