Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I could use your help with this machine! >

I could use your help with this machine!

I could use your help with this machine!

Old 04-27-2015, 04:40 AM

Default I could use your help with this machine!

Over the weekend I was "loaned" a Free-Westinghouse electric machine in a stand. I believe it is a mid 1930's model (at least the owners manual is copyrighted 1934). I know it hasn't been run in at least 30 years. I welcome any and all advice or tid-bits you may have. (I'm kinda new at this) She is also in amazing condition.

And now the fun part.....

Old 04-27-2015, 05:07 AM

The only tidbits I have is about oiling and the drive wheel. Before you use it, clean it's surface with sewing machine oil and a cotton pad or piece of soft cloth. Then oil every hole that does not have threads. Turn it by hand a bit so the oil can start seeping into all the appropriate places. After sitting that long the rubber on the drive wheel will probably be flat spotted. That will cause the machine to run very rough and noisy, and it will cause one heck of a vibration. There are a couple sources of these drive wheels on the internet so you might be able to find a replacement. You also might be able to move the one on that machine in or out so a smooth place on the rubber contacts the hand wheel. I have a Free too and I remove the drive wheel when the machine is not in use. The motor is not moveable so there's no way to put anything in there to move the drive wheel away from the hand wheel. Joe
Old 04-27-2015, 06:50 AM

So if it loaned..is that to encourage you to buy it? It looks lovely.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
So if it loaned..is that to encourage you to buy it? It looks lovely.
She is in quiet amazing condition. Trying to find out anything in particular about them is so far kinda challenging.

It came from my friend's family, and none of them sews any more. Story is that it belonged to a great-grandmother that immigrated from Italy and she used it to make all the family's clothes. There is a good chance no one is going to ask for it back, but for now I am "storing" it. Once I get it up and running I am going to make the nephew and niece quilts on it to honor the great-grandmother.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

That machine is a wonderful condition. How does it run? Will you be able to buy it?
Old 04-27-2015, 10:53 AM

Basically a long term loan then. It's not unheard of. They're not quite ready to let go completely but want the machine to be where it's appreciated. I have an old Kodak box camera that was given to me under the same circumstances. My uncle told me a friend of his was loaning me the camera for my collection at the time probably 30 years ago. My uncle passed several years ago and I never learned who actually owned the camera.

It looks like a great machine. A very nice looking cabinet and the machine appears very well kept and is in great cosmetic condition. I don't think it was used all that much. I don't see any wear on the bed of the machine. It looks nearly new. Joe already explained about the drive wheel. I would love to have a machine like it. I still haven't stumbled onto the right deal for a machine with a turtleback motor like yours.
Rodney
Old 04-27-2015, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
It looks like a great machine. A very nice looking cabinet and the machine appears very well kept and is in great cosmetic condition. I don't think it was used all that much. I don't see any wear on the bed of the machine. It looks nearly new. Joe already explained about the drive wheel. I would love to have a machine like it. I still haven't stumbled onto the right deal for a machine with a turtleback motor like yours.
Rodney
I said the same thing about it looking almost brand new. But, they swore to me that she used it a lot. In fact, they were telling me about it and couldn't even remember where it was. Turns out they had been using it as a night stand in the guest room, lol.

I have been doing a bunch of research most of the day on it, there doesn't seem to be much of a following unlike the Singers. I did see a video about the fly wheel and being able to modify the modern universal needles to fit it. Fortunately, the manual was in the cupboard because I have been having a hard time finding the one that I have on the web.

I haven't turned it on yet because it looks really dry and didn't want to take a chance accidentally seizing something. I have watched the videos from Muv and Fav, so it's not as over-whelming any longer and I have a place to start.

Last edited by saor; 04-27-2015 at 11:26 AM. Reason: forgot
Old 04-27-2015, 11:49 AM

There are a few pictures in the Needlebar on your Free Westinghouse AAE. Uses a short needle called Free Rotary, CC1221, cc, or Boye 2-1/2 which is shorter than the universal or 15x1. My understanding is 206x13 are also too long and not a substitute for Free Rotary needle.

http://needlebar.org/cm/thumbnails.php?album=298

Jon
Old 04-27-2015, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
There are a few pictures in the Needlebar on your Free Westinghouse AAE. Uses a short needle called Free Rotary, CC1221, cc, or Boye 2-1/2 which is shorter than the universal or 15x1. My understanding is 206x13 are also too long and not a substitute for Free Rotary needle.

http://needlebar.org/cm/thumbnails.php?album=298

Jon
The website isn't working for me right now, I'll have to try again later. I did find this video which explained modifying the modern needles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YO-R8Zblws
Old 04-27-2015, 12:51 PM

I've seen and heard favorably of this also and all that's needed is a bench grinder.

Jon