I found....

Old 08-18-2011, 11:44 AM

A tidbit from a Google website:
"Haid and Neu was established in 1860 in Karlsruhe but by 1868 only 2000 machines had been made. This had increased ten fold by 1872 and 1881 saw the firms 100,000th machine. By 1898 half a million machines had been made. The million was reached in 1904 and two million machines had been made by 1921. The Company survived the Second World War but in 1958 was taken over by Singer."
Old 08-18-2011, 12:39 PM

If you take the manual to a local college, I'm sure someone in the languages department can translate for you. Or you can go to translation.com and do it yourself - what fun!!
Old 08-18-2011, 01:28 PM

WOW! Beautiful.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:30 PM

Looks like a very nice machine. Sorry, I have never heard of this brand.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Patchesnposies
.....a poor, abused and unloved machine yesterday. The sad thing is I cannot even speak its language! It is a Haid & Neu treadle in a cabinet/table. I paid $15 to rescue it.

The manual is, of course, all in German. I cannot tell how old it is, I am thinking maybe the 50's?

It has the bobbin case and even the leather belt and wheel. I am hoping we can get her fixed up and usable again.

She belonged to someone's "ex" M-I-L and was brought over in 1966 when she died. She had been stored none to carefully or gently in a garage (or perhaps an outside shed).

The cabinet/table is oak and seems to be original to the machine. It, too, needs some TLC.

Anyone familiar with this brand, Haid & Neu? (I did read it was taken over by Singer in 1958) Any advice on refurbishing it?

These photos were taken at the time of rescue!

Thanks,

Patches
Nice machine! And I'm sure Billy will have info for you... also, we found out that the Smithsonian Museum has lots of online information on the old machine, and you can get copies of their manuals from them too.

We had an old treadle that hubby thought he would fix up for me, and I was so excited about it... Turned out that he enjoyed the research, but the actual machine not so much... Gave it to a local thrift shop... I was really sad... but recently found my great old Kenmore and it runs perfectly already... Like new!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:52 PM

lucky you! she's a beauty:)
Old 08-18-2011, 08:34 PM

Never heard of the name, but thrilled you rescued her!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:36 PM

Glad she found someone to love her!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:14 AM

Poor baby. Glad you rescued her. I used to do that until I ran out of room.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Patchesnposies
Originally Posted by janallyn
i wonder if you could type the instructions in the computer then use the translator, i am not too bright about stuff, but it might be fun to try, it is a beaut

jan
What a great idea! One I will certainly use!

If that proves to be of little help I will probably have to find someone who speaks and reads German to help me.

Fortunately, the German Air Force has a small base here at Holloman. My husband teaches out there and often has German students.....(hmmmm, now the old cogs are turnin'!)
boardmember twistedquilter (NOT Twisted Quilter) is fluent in German, being born there and a former translator, give her a PM to help you out