Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm Soooo Happy!!!!

I am the proud owner of a 1928 Singer 99. I bought it today. It has the bentwood carrying case and is a beautiful machine. It's so old that it doesn't even have a reverse on it!! Can you imagine that? She, whom is still nameless, will join my 1938 Featherweight named Lila after a neighborhood friend's mother when I was growing up. Any suggestions for a name? I'd like one that is from the 1920's. Anything anyone can tell me to help me with this machine is welcome. I downloaded a manual, but of course it is more up to date and shows features mine doesn't have. Doing the happy dance! :) :) :)
    Janis

Congratulations Janis, what a find! Have fun with your new toy and we'd love to see a picture.

Blog Entries
    There must be a famous flapper that you could name her after.....congratulations on your new baby. I keep hearing the song from Fiddler on the Roof after they ask for the blessing of the new sewing machine.....

I got her off Craigs List. Here is the posting for her:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/2541801899.html

I ended up paying $85.00 for her, which I didn't think was bad considering the great shape she is in. The case is in great shape, her decals are all in place and not warn at all, and she purrs like a kitten sewing. What more could I ask for.....except for the manual for her. Maybe I can find an older one somewhere.

sammygirlqt, that's a beautiful machine you have there. Can you tell me about her?

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    I have no idea why, but the name "Norma" popped into my head. Congratulations on your great find!

Blog Entries
    My mama was born in 1922 and was named Addiebelle (one word). Just a thought:)

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Ima Jean...

Here is a website with 1920 names:

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/de...ames1920s.html

I like the name Rose, but my mother's name was Ruth and she was a sweetheart and lived until 92 with her mind and eyesight. I'd say that was pretty good! Maybe it would bless your machine too.

Congrats. I say Isabella

Blog Entries
    Congratulations!

Daisy from The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald--very 20's

Here is the link to the Singer site you can download a free manual.

Looks very nice. Congratulations. :D

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/...manuals/search

That is a gorgeous machine! It looks to be in such good shape.

Enjoy it!

quilt addict, Thanks, but I think this is for the newer models of machines. I typed in the numbers of both my FW and the 99 and there are no results. I did download a manual for the 99, but it is a newer one and shows things that my machine doesn't have. Thanks again.
    Janis

Lovely machine, and in such wonderful shape! The price wasn't bad considering the decals were so nice and the machine shows so little wear.

Those are easy to convert to handcranks, should you ever want to do that...

This is a great website that will tell you everything you need to know about refurbishing your machine. (I like to clean out all the old oil and replace with new, whenever I get a 'new' vintage machine.)
    http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/

She is so pretty!

My mother's name is Jewel Ann (born in 1925) and she was named after her mother, Jewel Irene so I thought that
    Jewel might be an idea for a name. In fact, I may use it myself but I'm saving it for a featherweight! :-D

Hi,my Mom was born in 1926,her name is Ruby Jewell. How is that for old fashion?

Blog Entries
    She is gorgeous. Enjoy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mema Sandy
    Hi,my Mom was born in 1926,her name is Ruby Jewell. How is that for old fashion?
    I named my FW in my avatar Ruby Jewel. Love that name.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Lovely machine, and in such wonderful shape! The price wasn't bad considering the decals were so nice and the machine shows so little wear.

Those are easy to convert to handcranks, should you ever want to do that...

This is a great website that will tell you everything you need to know about refurbishing your machine. (I like to clean out all the old oil and replace with new, whenever I get a 'new' vintage machine.)
    http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/
    Thanks for the great site!!! I started downloading and printing the info there and ran out of ink. :-(
    Out to Walmart to get some more. (I use HP 60,) I decided to get a double pack of black, and got up to the checkout and discovered that with buying one double pack, I got a $10.00 gift card. That makes it equal out to 2 black packs for about $18.00, where one pack is about $15.00. I went back and got another 2 double packs. :D :D :D I use a lot of ink printing things off the net!
    Thanks again for the site and also for everyone suggesting names and sites of names. I'm still thinking...... :-D

that's some nice machine!! Enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Janis
    sammygirlqt, that's a beautiful machine you have there. Can you tell me about her?
    Janis, my Avatar is my 1904 Singer Treadle. I do a lot of my FMQ on her and I call her Annie after my mom. I only purchase the antique to use and enjoy...not to sit around and look at. They are so much fun to sew on and I know you will love your new treasure.

My way of thinking is that the machines are pretty to look at, but even more fun to use. I'm thrilled to have such old machines that still work and I can have fun playing (sewing) with. No just sitting on the shelf for them. They will be used and loved.
    Last night our quilt guild had a demo and we were to take our machines to try out the thing that was being taught. My little 1939 Featherweight that I got in May took her first trip out of the house. I was amazed at how much lighter she was than the machine I would have usually taken! She is my new 'take along machine.' Her name is Lila, after the mother of my best friend inthe neighborhool when I was a child.
    I'm thinking of naming my Singer 99 after my grandmother Bertha, or a very sweet aunt, Tillie, (short for Matilda). What do you think of those names? They are stronger names than Lila, and this machine is larger and heavier than little Lila.
    Sam, Annie is a beautiful machine! I'm glad that you are enjoying her too. My middle name is Ann, and my brother called me Jannie Annie when we were small..... That's not all, he added 'sisser punkin' to it, so I was 'Jannie Annie sisser punkin!" What a name!!!

I like the name "Tillie", very cute for a vintage machine. I only know one person named Bertha, she was a large woman with a large kinda masculin voice, LOL. So Bertha says big and heavy to me, which I am sure your grandmother is not. I think most people on the Board use their antique machines, if they do not, they are really missing out on a rich experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast