I have a theory...

Old 04-22-2023, 10:34 AM

Default I have a theory...

...about the correct way to install Singer clutch knobs and lock washers. The machine in the pictures is a 201. I tried this on a 66, 99, and 201, and it worked the same on all 3.

1. With the clutch knob, lock washer, and hand wheel off the machine, rotate the shaft in the normal direction until the slots on the end of the shaft are more or less vertical, and the needle is in the down position (pictures one and two)

2. Orient the lock washer with the bend on the inner tangs away from the machine; one inner tang should line up with a stop for the set screw (picture 3)

3. Replace the hand wheel, keeping the shaft in the same position as in No 1, and insert the lock washer with the tang and set screw stop at the top (picture 4; hand wheel not installed for illustration)

4. Tilt the machine up from the hand wheel end and reinstall the clutch knob, tighten down the test screw, and test to make sure it all loosens correctly; tilting it helps keep the lock washer from falling off

I have of course done this dozens and dozens of times, usually incorrectly, and it would make sense that there’s a procedure for doing it. I’m not positive this is the procedure, but it worked in my limited sample.

Thoughts or criticisms are welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails 20230421_230045.jpg   20230421_230052.jpg   20230421_230120.jpg   20230421_230108.jpg  
Old 04-23-2023, 10:00 AM

That's awesome! Sure beats assemble, try it, doesn't work, unassemble, try a different position, re-try, etc.

I've always wanted to figure that out on the old Berninas and Kenmores.
Old 04-23-2023, 02:51 PM

It makes sense to me that Singer would have had a method to assemble their machines that didn't include trial and error. Well done!

Now, if someone who is smarter than I am could figure out how to orient the washers that have three tabs, I would really be happy.
Old 04-23-2023, 03:26 PM

I used a 201 washer in the pictures. The 66 and 99 have the tabs on the outer edge of the washer corresponding to the yellow circled "tabs" on the 201 washer in the new picture. Meaning the principle is the same, you will see one outer edge tab lined up with an inner tang and the opposite tang will bisect the angle between the other two outer edge tabs.
Attached Thumbnails 20230421_2301201.jpg  
Old 04-23-2023, 03:31 PM

That is what I thought. Thank you, Joe. Now if I can remember, the next time I need to replace the washer.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 04-24-2023, 10:57 AM

Not that I really want to shoot holes in my own theory, but I tried this on a 503 Rocketeer, rotated the bare shaft in the normal direction until the needle was down or going down and the slots on the shaft vertical. I reassembled hand wheel, lock washer, etc, and it's the opposite. The tang corresponding to the stop had to be down.

I then tried it on a recently acquired 15 clone, and, although the needle didn't go down as far as on the other Singers, it worked the same, meaning the tang corresponding to the stop was installed at the top.

My modified theory is that my original proposition is for black Singers.