Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I just don't have the patience to wait for a good vintage machine!

Blog Entries

Search for Antique Singers

I have been looking for a year for an old black Singer. It was purely by accident, found in a thrift shop in central Illinois. It was a 201-2 with the art noveau 4 drawer desk, mentioned in an earlier post. The machine was in near perfect condition, $100.00. The desk was maked up, but is good enough for refinishing. It is mahogony veneer with some walnut. It took stain well and is going to be a good looking piece when done. I found a thread spindle at Sewing Machines and Things, Brentwood, TN. I ordered a missing thumb screw from Sew Classics, internet. The repairs were under $5.00. Refinishing the cabinet was the most expensive at $35. The manual was another $5.00. All of these were not necessary, but something I wanted and could do to make a complete unit.
    A classic machine, doomed to the dumpster, if it didn't sell, was brought back to useful productivity. It is pretty and can continue sewing for another generation.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

Blog Entries
    Now that you have verbally and out loud expressed your desire to have A vintage machine, you will likely have more than one pop up.
    That is how I got my 301 and I'm looking at a Red Eye this week!!

Good Luck, they will come your way.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

try shopgoodwill.com they always have sewing machines on their auction site. I got a really great machine from there. A 1913 Singer... I think it is a model 66. I use it all the time now. Got it for $46 and that included shipping!
    have been happily divorced from the same guy for 39 years now! Yay!

We saw on craigslist a beautiful Singer with the cabinet and all accessories for $30. I believe it is a Singer 99 style. I think we will buy that today if it is still for sale. I bought a Free Westinghouse that looks brand new, absolutely spotless. I got it from Goodwill last Saturday and it was $10. We have beautiful machines in our area listed on Craigslist. If you find one that you like, I would not mind checking it out for you. Driving here to pick it up is a little expensive right now with the price of gas, but you could have a mini-vacation and tour St. Louis.

I agree with what Delta said. Once I stopped looking and posting ISO's on my local FB selling sites pages. Sewing machines started coming out of their dark basements and being listed. There is one lady who knows I am looking for machines and monitors the FB pages, she then tags me in the post so I can see what it is people are selling.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    QUIT LOOKING LOL You know when you look you will not find. put the energy out there you are not looking anymore and just look for other stuff and you will find one.

Blog Entries
    You know, Billy posted one time last summer or was it in the fall, he said there is a huge garage sale all the way across TN - they should be doing it again. He said he was going to take a big truck and a lot of money next time. Maybe you could find something that way. You might want to start out early...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

I was recently in a little resellables shop in Loundenville, Ohio. and this is what i saw but did not buy. Name:  IMG_5214.JPG
Views: 63
Size:  111.0 KBName:  IMG_5215.JPG
Views: 72
Size:  94.1 KBName:  IMG_5216.JPG
Views: 67
Size:  91.5 KBIt was priced at 50 bucks and had been tested and appeared to stitch beautifully, but i have never heard of that brand of machine and have no idea it is a good buy or not.

Blog Entries
    Denise - that is a real good deal. That is a Japanese 15 clone - just that buttonholer is worth a penny or two. You can't beat the 15s for free motion.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    I agree with Miriam....that is a good price for a 15 clone in very good condition, which that appears to be. I have one with a different name on it, but still a 15 clone, that I paid slightly less than $50 for, and it's not in as good condition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2