I Love My Featherweight

Old 03-24-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
http://www.april1930s.com/ had everything you'll need for your FW. She specializes in them, though does have my 301 accesssories available. Her darning foot is the best I've seen, though mine is slant needle, so it may be different. I love no shipping. The shipping is prompt and the packaging attractive.

They are cute machines. What are you naming your new girl?
Another good site, though I nearly fainted at the 150 dollar feed cover - I hope the 8.95 one will do the job!
I don't usually name things - I hope this machine will be called sweetheart, beautiful and similar words - unlike my Janome which, when I try to quilt, is called names that I couldn't repeat here!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
Originally Posted by katier825
I think most low shank feet will fit the featherweight. I also heard that a card to cover the feed dogs will work. I have not tried that yet.
Thankyou - I think I'll investigate the modern feet : I'm not a purist, if it'll be much cheaper!
Looking on Ebay I was a bit confused by this item

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SINGER-FEA...item43a56e16dd

It doesn't look the same as the photo of the feed cover in my handbook: is it for a later model?
Not sure. Maybe after market parts? It looks the same as what's available here. http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland....ore/index.html
Old 03-24-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
I think most low shank feet will fit the featherweight. I also heard that a card to cover the feed dogs will work. I have not tried that yet.
Thankyou - I think I'll investigate the modern feet : I'm not a purist, if it'll be much cheaper!
Looking on Ebay I was a bit confused by this item

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SINGER-FEA...item43a56e16dd

It doesn't look the same as the photo of the feed cover in my handbook: is it for a later model?
Not sure. Maybe after market parts? It looks the same as what's available here. http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland....ore/index.html
Yes, it does, and the photo shows how it works. That's great - thankyou. Good to know that parts are easily available.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:36 AM

I love my featherweight too!

I use it for all of my piecing now...I haven't even looked at my computerized machine in a month. LOL I still do my quilting on my bigger comp machine, though, so I can FMQ.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:52 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!
Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 AM

Welcome to the Sisterhood of Featherweight Owners. I've loved my 1946 model ever since I got it in 1972 at the young age of 12. My first machine that I will never ever get rid of.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:47 AM

Oh, that would be a shocker. Reproduction is fine with me. Did you see the 'penquin' walking foot for $600? I only name vintage machines. Actually all mine are considered vintage, but one doesn't know it.

quote=irishrose]http://www.april1930s.com/ had everything you'll need for your FW. She specializes in them, though does have my 301 accesssories available. Her darning foot is the best I've seen, though mine is slant needle, so it may be different. I love no shipping. The shipping is prompt and the packaging attractive.

They are cute machines. What are you naming your new girl?[/quote]

Quote:Another good site, though I nearly fainted at the 150 dollar feed cover - I hope the 8.95 one will do the job!
I don't usually name things - I hope this machine will be called sweetheart, beautiful and similar words - unlike my Janome which, when I try to quilt, is called names that I couldn't repeat here![/quote]
Old 03-24-2011, 10:04 AM

You won't have to buy a feed dog cover if your featherweight came with the Singer buttonholer. To make the Singer buttonhole attachment work, the feed dogs must be covered. Those old buttonholers (green plastic box) all came with a feed dog cover plate. As for a darning foot, a generic short shank darning foot will fit. My Janome darning foot will fit my featherweight so you may have everything you need to FM quilt with your featherweight without buying a thing.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
My Janome darning foot will fit my featherweight so you may have everything you need to FM quilt with your featherweight without buying a thing.
Thanks - I'll check that.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:03 PM

Www. Featherweight221.com or (360) 757-4777 for Dave McCullom, featherweight guru. I've bought feet and a book there, lovely folks. Welcome to the Featherweight Club!