Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I made Louise a cover ...

I made Louise a cover ...

My White DRESSMASTER ~aka~ Louise came to me with no case. So I decided to make her a cover.

In keeping with my Whacky bag motif I made it to match.

It should be noted that I used Louise to sew this with completely. This machine is sooooo very easy to control that back tacking with it is a breeze even though it has no reverse or back tack feature.
    And even though it is a friction wheel drive she lacks nothing when it comes to sewing though multiple layers of fabric. In several areas of the cover there was two layers of outer fabric, two layers of pelon stiffener, two layers of felt and 4 layers of the seam binding. She waltzed through it like is was two layers of muslin.

Joe

Power Poster
    Nice cover for a nice machine. You can't beat the old girls for sewing through layers.

Joe,

If you look real close in your photo, it appears Louise is smiling (the reflection in her light).

Oh, she will be so happy to have a new party dress to keep her warm. And it's a lovely one, too. Did you follow a pattern or just draw on your creative skills?

I came across a pattern for one once in a library book and made a few for my girls, but yours is quite lovely.
    Dorothy in PA

Veeeerrrrryyy Nice...Both machine and cover.
    with a passion for quilting and vintage machines..Singers: 99, 4 featherweights, Redeye 66, Lotus 66, Phoenix 27, 15-91, 301A
    Colleen S.

Dorothy,

I just took measurements so the cover would be snug around the base of the machine then started sewing 3.5" squares together.
    Basically it's a rectangle.

I haven't made anything from a pattern yet. Perhaps someday.

Joe

Blog Entries
    She has a lovely home!

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Dorothy,

I just took measurements so the cover would be snug around the base of the machine then started sewing 3.5" squares together.
    Basically it's a rectangle.

I haven't made anything from a pattern yet. Perhaps someday.

Joe
    Excellent! You did a great job! Don't ya just love those vintage workhorses?
    Dorothy in PA

Quote Originally Posted by totosmom View Post
    Excellent! You did a great job! Don't ya just love those vintage workhorses?
    Yes I do. They maybe be noisy and crotchety but they just don't quit.

I've started making Minerva my Minnesota Mdl B a cover. This 100 year old lady sews straight and true but somewhat slow. She started out life as a treadle machine but was converted to electric and put in a home made base who knows when.
    I'm making her a whacky cover too. 3.5" squares, with a stiffener and an inner layer. This one I'm gonna quilt too.

Joe

What fun! I need to make some for machines. I also think when I have some spare time I'm going to sew up some little pads to slip underneath the pressed foot. I think it was you who said you did that. I'll need a few but I can use my scraps of fabric which will be perfect. I also started unstitching a failed project that works as a slip cover for my featherweights bed. So I'm undoing the seams and cutting it down to size and re-sewing it!! should work great.
    Proud owner of: Eleanor, a 1896 Willcox & Gibbs Chain Stitch Treadle; Tucci, a 1952 Singer Featherweight; my mothers Singer Touch & Sew 758; Brother XR 6060
    1910 Singer 66; Singer 99K Shadow, 1929 Singer 128 (currently w/hand crank)

Blog Entries
    Nice cover, I bought a pattern but alas it won't make itself! I really how you did yours so bright and pretty!

I love your idea of making something unique for the machine, using the machine, and so useful too.

Clare

Kittywolf13,

My "Whacky" bags and machine covers are basically scraps cut into 3.5" squares and stitched together.
    The bags have 83 pieces, the machine covers will vary.
    For Louise's cover I sewed the front and back together separately then sewed the top in. After that I stitched on the very stiff Pelon interfacing and then the felt insides. After trimming all the edges I sewed them together right side to right side up each side and then the top. Then I put on the seam binding and turned it right side out. And I have to say I'm rather pleased with it. It's one of the best projects I've sewed so far.

I made a cover for the folding plate on our Featherweight too. I'll do another thread on that one in a bit.

Joe

Crqltr,

Ain't that the truth. I bought a pattern for a machine cover that I saw on eBay. Got it at JoAnns. Then found out my wife had two other copies of the pattern. So far I've not even fully read it. I like my Whacky covers better.

Clare,

Yes, I really enjoy making things with the machines I've worked on and refurbished. When you use them you can get to know their idiosyncrasies and adjust them so they sew nice too.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Joe; I like the cover. Very nice and a great way to use up scraps. BTW, I have some of that blue fabric you used for Louise.
    Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Kittywolf13,

My "Whacky" bags and machine covers are basically scraps cut into 3.5" squares and stitched together.
    The bags have 83 pieces, the machine covers will vary.
    For Louise's cover I sewed the front and back together separately then sewed the top in. After that I stitched on the very stiff Pelon interfacing and then the felt insides. After trimming all the edges I sewed them together right side to right side up each side and then the top. Then I put on the seam binding and turned it right side out. And I have to say I'm rather pleased with it. It's one of the best projects I've sewed so far.

I made a cover for the folding plate on our Featherweight too. I'll do another thread on that one in a bit.

Joe
    Looks like I'll need to collect more "crumbs" before I attack the thought of a cover or bag. I have a very small stash of fabrics. Which need to be put up and organized. Something else I need to think about.
    Proud owner of: Eleanor, a 1896 Willcox & Gibbs Chain Stitch Treadle; Tucci, a 1952 Singer Featherweight; my mothers Singer Touch & Sew 758; Brother XR 6060

Kittywolf,

The scraps are from 20 years of my wife's craft projects and their left overs. So I have a varied and almost endless supply
    She's got a bunch of fake fur scraps somewhere. When I find them I'm gonna make something fuzzy ...... hahahaha!

Joe

Hi Kittywolf13,

I have so many scraps, if you will tell me the colors you like and what sizes you need, I will pay it forward. PM me with your address if you are interested.

Kitsy

Quote Originally Posted by Kittywolf13 View Post
    Looks like I'll need to collect more "crumbs" before I attack the thought of a cover or bag. I have a very small stash of fabrics. Which need to be put up and organized. Something else I need to think about.
    Kitsy

Love the cover, Joe. Just a question as my machine knowledge doesn't compare to yours, but on some machines when the stitch length lever is pushed up all the way, it reverses?
    IMHO Minerva needs a crazy quilt cover for her, being 100 years old and all. hehe Bring on the velvet,beads and bling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittywolf13 View Post
    ... I also think when I have some spare time I'm going to sew up some little pads to slip underneath the pressed foot.
    I use the cut-out notches of fabric and fleece from the corners when I make purses. A dime a dozen.

piney

Thanks so much for the suggestions everyone! KitsyKeel, pm headed your way!

Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    Love the cover, Joe. Just a question as my machine knowledge doesn't compare to yours, but on some machines when the stitch length lever is pushed up all the way, it reverses?
    IMHO Minerva needs a crazy quilt cover for her, being 100 years old and all. hehe Bring on the velvet,beads and bling.

I use the cut-out notches of fabric and fleece from the corners when I make purses. A dime a dozen.

piney
    piney,
    On some machines the lever all the way up simply reduces the stitch length to "0". Others will go to a sort of reverse that will allow you to back tack your stitches. And there are others yet that will go full reverse. They'll do the same stitches in reverse as it's set for forward. Those are fun to play with. It just all depends on the model and vintage of the machine.

Minerva has made the outer parts of her crazy cover already. Finished that yesterday. Am working on my Aunts quilts right now.

Joe

piney,
    On some machines the lever all the way up simply reduces the stitch length to "0". Others will go to a sort of reverse that will allow you to back tack your stitches. And there are others yet that will go full reverse. They'll do the same stitches in reverse as it's set for forward. Those are fun to play with. It just all depends on the model and vintage of the machine.
    Thanks for the info, all my oldies do the backstitch.

piney

Great cover for a lovely machine!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Like you, I enjoy making a first project with my machines -- well, and other projects too. But for many of them, my first project is a sewing machine cover. Here are three recent ones.

The first one was made just as written. It turned out well, but the Log Cabin took a long time, and I was looking for something simpler. I wasn't crazy about the diagonal quilting on this one.

The second one turned out well too, and I really like the Churn Dash block with it. I just stitched in the ditch and did some channel quilting on the sides for all of them.

But then I started thinking of the few machines that I have with handles. So I made a very large button hole on the third one for the long handle of the Viking 6440. The Square in a Square was easy to quilt too. Both this machine and its cover went to my SIL.

Now it seems that every time I get a new machine, I make a cover for it. Great fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dorothy in PA

Dorothy, those are SOOOOO coool! I really like the one with the slot for the handle. We have a couple machines that have handles and I could do that for them. Hmmmmm .... ideas, ideas, ideas.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast