I made Louise a cover ...

Old 11-02-2012, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
Love the cover, Joe. Just a question as my machine knowledge doesn't compare to yours, but on some machines when the stitch length lever is pushed up all the way, it reverses?
IMHO Minerva needs a crazy quilt cover for her, being 100 years old and all. hehe Bring on the velvet,beads and bling.

I use the cut-out notches of fabric and fleece from the corners when I make purses. A dime a dozen.

piney
piney,
On some machines the lever all the way up simply reduces the stitch length to "0". Others will go to a sort of reverse that will allow you to back tack your stitches. And there are others yet that will go full reverse. They'll do the same stitches in reverse as it's set for forward. Those are fun to play with. It just all depends on the model and vintage of the machine.

Minerva has made the outer parts of her crazy cover already. Finished that yesterday. Am working on my Aunts quilts right now.

Joe
Old 11-02-2012, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
piney,
On some machines the lever all the way up simply reduces the stitch length to "0". Others will go to a sort of reverse that will allow you to back tack your stitches. And there are others yet that will go full reverse. They'll do the same stitches in reverse as it's set for forward. Those are fun to play with. It just all depends on the model and vintage of the machine.
Thanks for the info, all my oldies do the backstitch.

piney
Old 11-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Power Poster

Great cover for a lovely machine!
Old 11-03-2012, 04:15 AM

Like you, I enjoy making a first project with my machines -- well, and other projects too. But for many of them, my first project is a sewing machine cover. Here are three recent ones.

The first one was made just as written. It turned out well, but the Log Cabin took a long time, and I was looking for something simpler. I wasn't crazy about the diagonal quilting on this one.

The second one turned out well too, and I really like the Churn Dash block with it. I just stitched in the ditch and did some channel quilting on the sides for all of them.

But then I started thinking of the few machines that I have with handles. So I made a very large button hole on the third one for the long handle of the Viking 6440. The Square in a Square was easy to quilt too. Both this machine and its cover went to my SIL.

Now it seems that every time I get a new machine, I make a cover for it. Great fun!
Attached Thumbnails sm-cover-log-cabin-medium-small-.jpg   churn-dash-sm-cover2a-small-.jpg   sm-cvr-w_handle-small-.jpg  
Old 11-03-2012, 04:59 AM

Dorothy, those are SOOOOO coool! I really like the one with the slot for the handle. We have a couple machines that have handles and I could do that for them. Hmmmmm .... ideas, ideas, ideas.

Joe
Old 11-03-2012, 05:20 AM

Thanks Joe. I think they're cute too. They all consist of eight six-inch blocks and two side panels. Not too hard to make, but then I've made a dozen of them. And there is a spot where I always seem to mess up. Oh well.

The pattern can be found in the library in a book called "Sewing 101" which has a lot of projects in it. For the last one, I had to look around on the 'net to find a tute on making buttonholes and then expand from that. Luckily there is a seam across the top which makes it convenient.

If you decide to try it, I will be happy to be your consultant ... if you even need one!
Old 11-03-2012, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by totosmom View Post

The pattern can be found in the library in a book called "Sewing 101" which has a lot of projects in it.
Oops. Sorry. The title is "QUILTING 101" and it can be found used on Amazon too.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:01 PM

Hmmm, my wife says she thinks she has that book. We just gotta find it HA HA.

Joe