Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I make this! ..... Joe's wacky bag :) >

I make this! ..... Joe's wacky bag :)

I make this! ..... Joe's wacky bag :)

Old 09-16-2012, 04:19 PM

i love your machine .. love your idea on fabric shopping bags. going to make a few and put in the car so i will have them handy... and you can make them any color...
Old 09-16-2012, 07:00 PM

Nice bag, now you canstart making qults. LOL
Old 09-17-2012, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Wonderful! I love scrappy quilts and bags and you did a great job on this one. Much better than my first attempt, for sure!

Around here, they're about to ban plastic shopping bags and start charging for paper bags, so I've been setting aside some of my scraps to make a bunch of scrappy shopping bags too. They make great gifts, and great reusable gift bags too!

The machine is beautiful too. Love it.
Joe, that is wonderful, watch out you will be quilting before you know it, lol. I wish My DH would try His hand, it would be lots of fun quilting together but He has no desire, lol.....on the other hand I love going into His work shop and helping out with the wood working, I guess I just like hobbies. Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing with us.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:15 AM

You did a great job!! A man of many talents!!
Old 09-17-2012, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by pinebeltquilter View Post
Nice bag, now you canstart making qults. LOL
I'm already working on one. Things just seem to be getting in the way.

Joe
Old 09-17-2012, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
You did a great job!! A man of many talents!!
I've never had enough money to pay someone else to do the job. So for the most part I've learned to do my own fixings. About the only things I can't do is computerize anythings, and automatic transmissions.

Joe
Old 09-17-2012, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by meow meow View Post
Hey Joe love the bag but I especially like the sewing machine. Its funny you shared this today as yesterday my cousin came in with two machines for me to look at. An old dusty singer that she got for $3.00 dh gonna clean and see if it works like likes its all together just needs new cords. The other macine is a very clean blacl shiny beautiful Aldean in a case. She got that for $15.00 and the man told her that it had tension problems. She took it home and attempted to sew on it(%$#GGKKH) you don't know what I want to say there as she knows absolutely nothing about machines. She said that it would pull the fabric thread realllllllllyyyyyy tight and she set the tension at 0. Hopefully my dh will be able to figure it out. I think I would really like to purchase it from her but i AM SURE she won't be asking no $15.00 for it and she wants her granddaughter to have it to play with ($%mgkog%&&gbhn&%).
My ALDENS also had upper tension problems. I had the tension apart several times, cleaned it sanitary, and reinstalled it only to have the same problems. Too much top tension. I finally found out the tension body wasn't inserted into the machine far enough and the presser foot lever wasn't releasing it. Fixed that which helped. But not enough.
I had the top tension cranked out as far as I though I could without the dial falling off the shaft and it was still puckering the fabric. So out of frustration I cranked in 1/4 more tension on the bobbin case and that seemed to fix it. So far, so good.

I'd give the cousins grand daughter the Singer. Simpler machine and easier to fix if she breaks it.

Joe
Old 09-17-2012, 07:21 AM

Good job, Joe!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I made this .... with a lot of tutoring from my wife.

For almost a year now I've been cutting 3.5" squares from any and all scraps my wife leaves after making her craft things. Cotton, canvas, and something kind of synthetic. I use them to test sew the machines I work on. I ended up with about 20 6.5" squares made by sewing the 3.5" squares together. What to do with them? I decided to make a wacky bag.
Sew, I used our newly acquired ALDENS machine and assembled the squares into a bag. Then Elaine showed me how to make an inner bag and make tucks on the side so the bottom would be flat. We used muslin for that.
After that the inner bag was put in the outer bag she showed me how to do the handles. Those were left over from another craft project so they didn't go to waste.

I think it turned out pretty good. The ALDENS worked good, even to sewing over multiple layers of material without stalling.

So below is the front and back of J Miller's wacky bag.

Joe
Joe you did GOOD!!!!! I make bags for myself and my mom, but yours looks like a lot of fun. I have a FW and I use it when making bags out of dog or cat food bags. But I like your bag a lot. Thank you for sharing.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:32 AM

Wait till you see my wacky sewing machine cover.

Joe