I miss the knee control

Old 10-19-2012, 05:53 PM

Default I miss the knee control

My mother's machine, which probably dated form the 20s or 30s, had a knee control. I learned to sew on it and made all my clothes up to and including tailored wool suits. I never knew there was another way to control a machine til my father bought me a wonderful Dressmaker about 1971 or 72 which I still have to this day. It had a foot control and it took me ages to learn to use it! Now I have a Bernina, a Pfaff and a FW in addition to the Dressmaker, but I still miss the knee control. Anybody else wishing for the old days?
Old 10-19-2012, 05:57 PM

My Jan has knee control foot lifter and when I use the Featherweight I always press my leg out before remembering to lift the foot by hand. The old days? I miss calling my mom for advice, fabric shopping with her, and showing off my latest project. She was always so supportive. Sigh. I still talk to her on occasion while trying to figure out how to do something. And I channel my dad when I have to tinker with a machine problem.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:15 PM

I have treadles, knee controllers, foot controllers and I've learned to use them interchangeably.

Not bragging, just a learning curve.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:35 PM

I have my Mom's vintage singer... with a knee control ... I LOVE THE KNEE CONTROL... if they made a new machine with one I would stand in line to get it.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:47 PM

I'm just the opposite. I learned on my Mom's 301 with knee control way back in the 60s. But now when I use her machine I have to take the controller out of the cabinet to use with my foot.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:44 PM

Funny you should mention this tonight.

This afternoon I was figuring out how I could attach a knee control to my 'work table'. My 'work table' is a Singer tredal base (just the wrought iron) with a butcher block table top. I have various Singers with the 'button' foot pedal. I have a couple of excess Singer cabinets that have the knee control.......... All I have to do is figure out how to attach the foot petal holder to my 'work table'....

Shari