Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I moved to my grandmother's house and found a singer >

I moved to my grandmother's house and found a singer

I moved to my grandmother's house and found a singer

Old 07-04-2021, 07:17 AM

Welcome to QB.

There's also the possibility that this machine was bought used and so the manufacture date wouldn't be relevant. My mother's first machine in the 40's was an old Singer that was converted to an electric machine. So the 1904 date could be accurate even though the your grandmother wasn't that old. Those old Singer's seemed to get passed around a bit. I don't know enough about the vintage stuff but Cathy and Janey know their stuff so I'd go with what they say.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:52 AM

Here are a few pics of mine. You can see that it's the same basic body style. The serial number for this machine was allocated Dec 1956, so I'd say it this was made early 1957.
Attached Thumbnails imgp5440.jpg   imgp5442.jpg  

Last edited by Macybaby; 07-04-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:00 AM

Oh, you have the black one! I have the "mocha" that my mom thought was so modern. lol I'm sure you'll love it and have many happy hours of quilting ahead of you on it.

Edit: As I remember my mom's is from 1957 which would have been right. They moved to California in 1956 and bought my mom a new machine after they bought the house.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:53 PM

Soev, do you have a manual for your machine? After studying your pictures, I'm thinking the closest I could find would be - http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ion-manual.pdf. It is for an electric machine that has a different body style, but the principle parts and threading should work. It does have a little different drop feed knob than what is shown on page 10 of that manual. I think yours may only be up or down. In other words, it probably doesn't have the "Silk" setting.

If you have attachments you can find how to use them in a different manual - http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...odel-15-90.pdf beginning on page 38. There is another set of attachments that are a little different that use a foot adapter to use some of the feet. If you have different attachment or feet than what are shown in that manual would you post a picture of them. I can probably link a manual for them, too.

I had tried to treadle many years ago and thought it wasn't for me. After my brother and I fixed up the treadle that my sister learned to sew on, she would tell me how much she enjoyed treadling again. I found a treadle for myself and decided to just practice a bit. I didn't care if my stitches were straight, as I was just sewing scraps. I made something like a Christmas tree skirt to put around some tomato plants to keep the weeds down and moisture in, so it didn't have to look great. It really was fun and then I knew why my sister enjoyed sewing with the treadle.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)