Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I think I am becoming a sewing machine collector >

I think I am becoming a sewing machine collector

I think I am becoming a sewing machine collector

Old 10-26-2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Sheila,
Some types of oil has a tendency to soften wood or so I've been told. Gun stock finishers use BLO ( boiled linseed oil) or Tru-Oil on the stocks. But it's made just for finishing wood.
I wouldn't use and don't use oil on my furniture. On the treadle I did the thread about I used the appropriate stain and then used shellac for the finish. After that I used Briwax polish to finish it off.

Joe
I've heard that oil softens (or over-softens) leather, as well. I think your approach is the safest. I've read that mineral oil (USP) is good for cutting boards, but they're in contact with water all the time and are usually not family heirlooms. (Though I do have a one-piece walnut board that my mom used for decades, and I want to preserve it.) I have made my own concoction of beeswax and mineral oil and used it on shoes and furniture that is not vintage. I melted the beeswax and then added just enough mineral oil to make a stiff paste. I used it sparingly and so far no ill effects but I think any damage that might occur would take a while to become apparent.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:57 PM

Ok, I have a lot to go on now...I think I am inspired to try to figure this out and restore it.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:13 PM

Mineral oil never cures. It's good for cutting boards because it's food safe and doesn't go rancid but it wears off quickly and needs replaced. I wouldn't recommend it for your cabinet. Boiled Linseed Oil will cure and will be fine, regular flax seed oil won't-or at least not quickly or well. The shellac that Joe uses is a good choice, possibly better because a lot of old furniture was finished with shellac. Shellac is also safe and easy to apply and clean up. It uses alcohol as it's solvent. Finishes sold as Danish oil are types of varnish and will work too. I've used all on various projects with good success.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:55 PM

Thanks, Rodney!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:21 PM

Joe, if I decide to give up on her...I'll make sure to make arrangements for you to get the cabinet....LOL.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
If you turn that treadle into a table I'll drive up there and haunt you.

Get some Elmer's Wood Glue Max, and old plastic credit card, some clamps and glue it back together. If you are careful, you can fix it without a lot of trouble.
Here is a thread I did when I fixed one that had been used as an aquarium stand:
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t204377.html }
I lost my "during repair" pics to a computer failure, but at least I have some before and after pics of it. We showed the pics to my SIL. She wanted the machine and cabinet back. I declined her request.

It takes time and effort to fix one this bad, but it's worth it.

Besides, I NEED three Singer treadle cabinets and cannot find any locally.

Joe