Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I'm a chicken with my featherweight - please help! >

I'm a chicken with my featherweight - please help!

I'm a chicken with my featherweight - please help!

Old 02-01-2014, 09:25 AM

So happy for you that it is fixed. Happy sewing. Carol Jean in WV
Old 02-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

Only use a screwdriver if it the manual instructions include it.
Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
don't pry it with a screwdriver. it just needs a tender touch, just your fingers should do. shake it left, right, up, down and see how it goes. never force it as you might break something.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:39 PM

Remove needle,,,,remove plate where screw is....?Most likely thread is jammed.
Find out that was what my problem was just recently. After bobbin case is out, hold that tongue (tiny arm on case) and rotate hand wheel backwards and forwards with other hand...it should loosen threads where u can remove with tweezer or finger. Hope this makes sense?
Old 02-02-2014, 07:24 PM

You won't get thread pieces in the bobbin mechanism if you always stop the machine with the needle in its highest position before you remove the fabric and snip the threads. Think I read this somewhere.

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
If your feed dogs are in a down position, I would try to take the needle out. Maybe needle is broken/bent and tip is stuck. Also if you undo the screw on the needle plate, you may be able to see better why the needle is stuck. Have you checked the manual trouble shooting page?
Old 02-02-2014, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by 1screech View Post
You won't get thread pieces in the bobbin mechanism if you always stop the machine with the needle in its highest position before you remove the fabric and snip the threads. Think I read this somewhere.
Also never turn the hand wheel backwards, that also causes thread jams.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:46 AM

I'm planning on being super careful from now on... Until I get too excited about a project and try to rush it!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:45 AM

So glad you fixed it. Your f/w looks so shiny and clean. Did you have it refurbished? I have two f/w's and would like to have the black one painted and refurbished. The other is the white/green one and she is my "baby". Love, love her.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by sash View Post
So glad you fixed it. Your f/w looks so shiny and clean. Did you have it refurbished? I have two f/w's and would like to have the black one painted and refurbished. The other is the white/green one and she is my "baby". Love, love her.
I was really blessed - when I bought her on ebay, I had just begun to want a vintage machine - it was reasonably priced (I think $187 including shipping), and I'd had some good communication with the seller. It came in this shiny condition! There was a thread jam when she came, but the LSMG was kind enough to remove the bobbin case and clean that area for me .. for free! So, it's been a great journey these last 1+ years with her. Now, having read more posts on this board, I'd probably be more careful when buying from ebay - but this purchase has been great! Good luck with your refurbishing - do you know Nova Montgomery? I went to Huntsville to take her featherweight maintenance class - it was really good, and she's very knowledgeable.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:06 AM

I unscrew needle and wiggle it out. Then unscrew faceplate , see threads? Try to get them out or you will
Need to remove bobbin case, be careful with that. Then clean it out and make sure the hook is on and push in correctly
After removing threads. I saw a video on how it's done and Finch helped me step by step! I'm sorry I forgot how to attach video though.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:08 AM

Also purple fiend is correct...make sure needle on highest point when u stop.
Glad it's fixed now!