Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I'm either an idjit or totally brilliant -- you decide >

I'm either an idjit or totally brilliant -- you decide

I'm either an idjit or totally brilliant -- you decide

Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 PM

I like the white FW's and just this evening I sat and WATCHED a white FW sell on E-bay for $177.00. The seller listed it as "for parts or repair" but in the description she stated that the machine worked, but was sluggish and that it was probably because the belt was slipping. Cosmetically ... very nice machine.

My finger hovered over the buy button but in the end I decided I didn't want a FW that badly to spend that much (I know it's not a lot for a white FW ... but it was more than I think they are *worth*).
Old 04-03-2013, 03:16 AM

She is beautiful You done goood And you may be able to buy a case for her either on Craigslist or EBay HAPPY SEWING
Old 04-03-2013, 04:41 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I have absolutely no luck with auctions at E-Bay -- even when I'm there in the final seconds someone comes along and makes a bid just above mine. The last straw was 4 Featherweights all ending the same day. My limit was $250.00 postage included. Two went too high and the others got snatched out from under me in the last second. So... I found this newly listed "Buy it Now" and grabbed it. No case, few attachments, 220V, but it shows minimal wear, has been serviced by a professional and is ready to go. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261194409097...84.m1439.l2649

We were born in the same year about 150 miles away from each other. Her in Scotland and me in North England, so we sort of speak the same language (just different accents ). The step down transformer was an additional $17.00. I figure I can make a quilted carry bag for her and I have a 15-91 which came with tons of attachments I think will fit a Featherweight.

So... have I made a collossal mistake or a good purchase?

Oh, and does anyone know where I can download a manual for her (hopefully free)?
I think you done good. You can buy a case if you want it. Mine are sitting in the corner of my sewing room collecting dust because I can't bear to put them back in the case. If you wanted it and you are happy with the price it's all good. I bought mine buy it now because I didn't have luck either. They sit and pounce on them when they are about to expire. Yay for you!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:47 AM

Yikes, I'd say you did very well! A lot of those machines go for $300 and up. So what it doesnt have the case or attach. Attachments are easy to find and as others have said, there are other ways to store/travel with it. I looked at that Seles other items and holy moley were they high priced!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:49 AM

Yikes, I'd say you did very well! A lot of those machines go for $300 and up. So what it doesnt have the case or attach. Attachments are easy to find and as others have said, there are other ways to store/travel with it. I looked at that Sellers other items and holy moley were they high priced!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:02 AM

It looks to me like you got a very nice machine and all the things you need to add to it can be obtained or as in the case you can modify another type of bag/case to work for you. The machine looks very nice and I know you will enjoy this little jewel very much!! You are brilliant. :>)
Old 04-04-2013, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
Bidding and walking away used to work for me in the early years of E-Bay but no longer. I'm often the highest bid until the last few minutes when someone beats me by the next increment. I much prefer "Buy it Now". I just hope this Featherweight is as nice as she looks and is described. I got her for $43.00 below my limit, so even though she doesn't come with much, I think I got a fairly good deal.
You can get many parts for her at sewclassic.com I shop there for my vintage and FW parts/bobbins all the time. Great service from Jennie.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:20 AM

I just had a good laugh when I saw your heading...Idjit is how my Irish grandmother would say idiot.....when someone did something silly she would say "is it an idjit you are now?" with that rising inflection that posed it as a question no matter what she was saying...
Old 04-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kellen46 View Post
Idjit is how my Irish grandmother would say idiot.....
Mine Too!! Grandma Cochrane always used that as a lighthearted version of "Idiot!" which was reserved for idjits who made her angry.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:09 AM

Congratulations on your purchase, if you are happy with it then the price is right.If you look on the internet you will be able to download a manual, and yes for free,happy stitching, Letty