Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I'm taking up a fun collection for J Miller - >

I'm taking up a fun collection for J Miller -

I'm taking up a fun collection for J Miller -

Old 07-29-2013, 01:28 PM

Doesn't have to be quilt related? My Grandfather and the big one.

My grandfather, Lum, lived to be on the river. He is credited with saving several people from drowning and it seemed he could hold his breath forever. When someone drowned, they'd call him to look for the body. One old man recalled with tears in his eyes the day his 12 year old friend drowned. Lum tied a rope to his ankle and went down. He was gone so long onlookers were ready to pull in the rope, thinking he had succumbed. Then Lum came walking up out of the water carrying the body.

Lum fished the river almost daily. He delivered catfish to the stores and cafes around town. Back then trotlines were legal and he had them strung all up and down the river. Just tied a string to a tree, rowed across the river and hooked up to another tree with baited hooks every six feet or so. How his dilapidated wooden rowboat stayed afloat was a mystery. He wore old timey baseball cleats for good footing in that old boat.

Lum also had his favorite deep holes where he could throw out a net, let it sink, and haul in a load of fish. That method was almost the end of him. He was out there all alone and jerked the net into the boat with a six foot long catfish. Those fish are strong and lively. The fish flopped out of the boat taking Lum with his baseball cleats tangled up in the net. He was down long enough to take his shoes off, get free of the net and swim to the surface. How did I hear the story sixty years later? He couldn't quit talking about it and I guess almost everyone in town heard it.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

YES Cool stories!!! Make something up...
Old 07-29-2013, 03:25 PM

Hey, just cause its a fish story doesn't mean I made it up!

Lum's father was a fisherman too. My eighty year old neighbor told me about going out with Mr. Tom when the river was in flood. At the mouth of the creek they stopped to check a line and my friend, around 8 years old at the time, fell overboard. Mr. Tom lost his fish saving him. Next time, he told him, you'll have to swim for it.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

Story telling is such a lost art. I grew up with story tellers. We didn't have very good tv reception so the old people would let us come to their houses and they gave us cookies and told stories. Imagine that these days... We had the run of the neighborhood. Old Sam Natchez (a Polish immigrant) would sound the fire siren at noon and all the kids would run home for lunch. Mom said he rang that siren at noon give or take a half hour either direction. Sam was somewhere over 90 and he got around a lot better than most. When he was about 100 he decided to quit walking to the ball games - it was kitty corner from our yard... Anyway our yard had some big beautiful ever green trees. He cut the bottoms off one day when no one was looking - he liked baseball... He put in a huge garden every year. His wife canned and preserved everything. He made sauerkraut in his garage in the summers. He kept a few chickens out back, too. I doubt if he ever went to the store. Mrs. Natchez never went out much unless it was to her garden. She never learned English to speak it. I think she understood. She never told us any stories. She did make the most wonderful Easter eggs. She made cookies some times, too. She used to watch us out the window when we played in the yard. Some times she would sit on a double glider Sam built. She liked it when we came and sat with her. One day Sam was out on his swing whittling. He had a stick and a piece of glass. We watched as he made a spoon. Then he handed us each a piece of glass and a stick and we all made spoons. We were busy for a long time. Imagine a neighbor giving a kid a piece of glass and a stick to whittle these days. Nobody got cut and we did make some spoons.

Yes we need more stories.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:56 PM

Don't know if you ever saw this one Joe, it makes me chuckle every time. Lol
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 05:56 AM

I've hurt my knee, and I'm walking with a cane. (Just for balance) LOL My DH decides we should go to Costco. Sat. afternoon isn't the best time. He wants me to use the power wheel chair, and I think there are too many adults let alone toddlers running around. We haven't walked too far when what do we see, but two older ladies almost backing over people besides running into displays. DH whispers to me that he's glad that wasn't me driving he'd be too embarrassed to know me. LOL Prayers for you and your family!!!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2013, 06:42 AM

Mouse dreams!!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]427108[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mouse-dream.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

http://memebase.cheezburger.com/puns/tag/sewing-machine

A SEWING MACHINE WALKS INTO A BAR, sits
down, looks at the sewing machine sitting next to
him and says, ‘Do I know you, are you a singer?’
Sewing machine says, ‘Ja-no-me?

http://www.oocities.org/eedd88/jokes2.html

R. D. Jones And His Sewing Machine
The following is an ad from a real-life newspaper which appeared four days
in a row - the last three hopelessly trying to correct the first day's
mistake.
MONDAY:
For sale: R. D. Jones has one sewing machine for sale. Phone 948-0707 after
7 P.M.. and ask for Mrs. Kelly who lives with him cheap.
TUESDAY:
Notice: We regret having erred In R. D. Jones' ad yesterday. It should have
read "One sewing machine for sale cheap. Phone 948-0707 and ask for Mrs.
Kelly, who lives with him after 7 P.M."
WEDNESDAY:
Notice: R. D. Jones has informed us that he has received several annoying
telephone calls because of the error we made in the classified ad yesterday.
The ad stands correct as follows: "For sale -- R. D. Jones has one sewing
machine for sale. Cheap. Phone 948-0707 after 7 P.M. and ask for Mrs. Kelly
who loves with him."
THURSDAY:
Notice: I, R. D. Jones, have no sewing machine for sale. I intentionally
broke it. Don't call 948-0707 as I have had the phone disconnected. I have
not been carrying on with Mrs. Kelly. Until yesterday she was my
housekeeper, but she has now quit.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:44 PM

Here's a video clip DH and I love to watch. I think I got the link from the QB...it's about a dog that wants a kitty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI4yo...layer_embedded
Old 08-01-2013, 06:31 AM

here is another talking dog youtube. it makes me giggle everytime I see it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGeKSiCQkPw

and a joke:

The past , the present, and the future walked into a bar.
It was tense.

(my husband groaned at that one!)