Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Instructions for Packaging an old machine for shipment >

Instructions for Packaging an old machine for shipment

Instructions for Packaging an old machine for shipment

Old 02-10-2014, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

So many employees of FedEx, DHL and others have been fired because so many residents have security cameras and are getting caught tossing packages. They take their frustrations out on the packages. That also includes some postal employees.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:21 AM
Banned

My new 1886 Jones Handcrank was broken in transport because the seller decided to "upgrade" my written and illustrated instructions by replacing the Foam I called for with bubble wrap....

WHY do people think this crud is so useful? In the military we called this type of protection Ablative Armor in that the way it works is that when an impact happens the armor sacrifices itself (ablates) to absorb the impact. Once used this way is is NO LONGER protective... so, the two layers of bubble wrap were able to absorb the first two impacts, then it may as well have been wrapped in plastic garbage bags...

Grrrrrr
Old 02-26-2014, 10:42 AM

I'm not a fan of having expensive or inexpensive machines shipped through the mail unless the seller has a positive track record doing so. I don't want my machines as practice for some beginner shipper.

Jon
Old 02-28-2014, 06:46 AM

I was impressed with the packaging from ShopGoodwill. I think that perhaps they are using the process as part of a job training regimen. Results obviously can vary with location. What kind of foam are you advocating Steve, and is it readily available. The thing about tight wraps of bubble wrap, is that it's not likely to burst any bubbles. Loosely place in bubblewrap allows the heavy SM to shift as it's thrown,dropped etc, and then it will pop bubbles.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:59 AM
Banned

I suggest open cell foam (Not like camping mats)

The real key with ANY packing material is movement. If it CAN move it CAN break.

I received a W&W#8 head packed in a single box with nothing but newspaper, but the machine was SO tightly packed it did not move. It was fine.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:28 AM

Great tut and much needed. I've started including an email to ebayers and GWs about how to pack a sewing machine. It seems to help. I think that a lot of sellers just don't know, or realize how much damage can occur.

I also ask for at least, a partial, if not full refund, if the sewing machine arrives damaged and was packed poorly. I don't usually ask for it if the seller gave it a good try in packing it properly, but some minor damage still occured. Ebay always backs me up on this. In fact, I'm sending back a machine tomorrow that was totally smashed when it arrived. The seller told me, "tough luck," but thankfully, Ebay saw things differently and gave me a full refund, plus a shipping tag to return the item.
~ C.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
My new 1886 Jones Handcrank was broken in transport because the seller decided to "upgrade" my written and illustrated instructions by replacing the Foam I called for with bubble wrap....

WHY do people think this crud is so useful? In the military we called this type of protection Ablative Armor in that the way it works is that when an impact happens the armor sacrifices itself (ablates) to absorb the impact. Once used this way is is NO LONGER protective... so, the two layers of bubble wrap were able to absorb the first two impacts, then it may as well have been wrapped in plastic garbage bags...

Grrrrrr
Oh, I'm so sad to read that your JONES was damaged. I hope that it's repairable. Thanks again for the tut!
Old 03-02-2014, 11:38 AM

Another story about bad packing...I won a sweet, badged, Singer 15 on Ebay for 1 penny. (Can you guess what this machine's name is?) However, the shipping was $50. When it arrived, it was not packed well and of course, there was lots of damage to a very lovely machine. I felt bad asking the seller for a partial refund. If he/she had just packed it correctly, it wouldn't have happened. This was a very honorable seller and when I asked them to take $10 off the shipping costs, they gave me $15...even though the made only 1 cent on the original deal. Now, that's class!

Too bad they didn't see your tut.
~ Cindy
Old 03-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Banned

I ALWAYS send instructions to them first... Sometimes they listen. Yes the leg is reattached now, thanks.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:36 AM

Great post!