Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Interesting foot pressure adjustment on a 27 singer

Interesting foot pressure adjustment on a 27 singer

Just picked up a 1906 singer model 27, and noticed a couple of things :
    First off, it always amazes me how these 100+ year old machines just purr after just a bit of cleaning and oiling!
    Second, is that this one has a different pressure adjustment than any of my other ones. You can just push down on the center section to increase pressure, then push on the little latch and it pops back up. I assume that it is an aftermarket part?
    Name:  IMG_20190204_221712581~2.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  407.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20190204_221705454~2.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  459.0 KB

I just picked up a Montgomery Wards machine from the 1960's and it has a [simpler looking] top pressure adjustment on it. I have never seen one before and have not yet tried it, but apparently it, like the feed dogs, is adjustable for thickness of fabric sandwich. I am curious to hear how you like it.

I suspect it's not aftermarket. I'm not familiar with old Singers enough to know if all 27s, or any other Singers had this type of release. In my collection of "mid-century" clones, only one (a Royal) has this type of release. It's not much different in how it works than the standard release you're used to seeing, only the lock is covered by the round knob. It's no more handy than the other type on a sewing machine. This same style is used on clamping mechanisms in some machine and woodworking tools where more frequent use is necessary.

I have some of these. I suspect they are stock. Kind of fun. If you take it apart, hold it carefully or it can throw parts around the room. Conventional screw tension seems more precise.
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal

If Singer made the part it will likely be stamped "Singer" or "SiManCo" alongside a part number. If you don't see either of these then it may be an after market part.

Bingo!
    I just got it cleaned up enough to read it and it is from Revco.

I thought that feature had been around since forever, and I know nothing about a Singer 27. I am sneaking up on 80 and think every machine I ever owned had that.

Thank you Janey. I was totally off on that one. but I do hve a aftermarket stitch length dial ( revco?) on onw od my 66s.
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal