Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pressure adjustment

Power Poster

Pressure adjustment

I haven't seen much info about it. On many machines there is a knob or screw on the top of the machine above the needle that can change the pressure exerted on the presser foot.

Beyond that, I don't know when to adjust it, how much to adjust it, or which way (less or more) to adjust it.

Clues? Help?

I'll be watching this, one of my older machines needs something, I think the pressure adjusted.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Blog Entries
    what brand is your machine?? do you have a manual at all? you may find one online if no one is able to help here.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    My manual has fabrics and a color-coordinated chart listed. The colors are printed on both the pressure knob and the feed dogs knob, which raise or lower incrementally depending on what kind of fabrics/sewing I'm doing. I'm familiar enough with my machine now that I don't need to consult my manual anymore to know how to adjust the machine.

Power Poster
    My Bernina has adjustable pressure on the presser foot. You are supposed to dial it down to 0 when FMQ. I do dial it down a bit for sewing binding on with my walking foot from regular fabric pressure.

When I experienced skipped stitches zigzagging the multiple thicknesses of fabric and batting for my Bailey Island bag, I tried increasing the presser foot pressure, and it made a big difference. I don't remember needing to adjust the pressure for anything else.

Daffy

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My Brother machine also has a color coordinated chart both on the indicator for the presser foot and on the feed dogs adjustment to sort of guide you along.

I adjust mine to lightest possible pressure for FMQ, of course. Other than that, I sort of play with it when my stitches look off. As mentioned earlier, changing the pressure when sewing extra thick things tends to make nicer stitches.

I've never changed the pressure - haven't seen the need for it. Guess I will have to look that up in my manual and find out when to make the change.

Even my old vintage machine I can adjust the pressure. It at the top of the machine and screws down to add more pressure. It took me awhile to figure out what that screw did!!

Blog Entries
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I adjust the tension on the foot when I am sewing on thick fabrics. Use a large needle and lighten the pressure to make it easy to go through the fabric. There are a lot of benefits to changing the pressure in different applications. Sometimes if your fabric doesn't seem to be feeding quite properly and the stitches look short for the size you dialed in, tighten the pressure so the feed dogs and foot grab the fabric better.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Lightening the pressure also keeps the top fabric from bunching up in front of the foot which can result in sewing pleats. I lighten it so I can avoid having to put on the walking foot sometimes.

And as mentioned earlier, the instructions for many walking feet specify loosening the pressure while using them.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    Thank you - that video was very helpful.

Blog Entries
    I reduce the pressure when the fabric seems to be bunching or dragging due to many seams coming together in one place. It helps the foot to glide over them easier.

Like many other screw based adjustment things "rightie tightie, leftie loosie". If you want more pressure, tighten it, less pressure, turn it back the other way. It doesn't need major adjustment often unless you are switching back and forth between piecing and quilting.

The presser foot puts pressure on the fabric and keeps it in front of the needle, while the feed dogs pop up at every stitch and pull the fabric through. They can work against each other if there is too much top pressure so that when you have two pieces of fabric the same size, the bottom one goes through faster than the top one. Once you find the correct combination of pressure foot and tension for your piecing, all is good.
    The walking foot has its own 'push' system so the thick sandwich feeds evenly and doesn't get stuck in front of the foot.
    Some FMQ 'darning' feet like the one for my Janome do not hop up and down but can be adjusted to glide across the fabric at the right height so not to bind. It doesn't matter what the presser foot dial is set at.
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    Thank you for this. It has answered questions for me.
    One step at a time, always forward.