Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Too scared to touch the bobbin screw >

Too scared to touch the bobbin screw

Too scared to touch the bobbin screw

Old 08-11-2013, 08:35 PM

Default Too scared to touch the bobbin screw

I have always been told to avoid adjusting the bobbin tention, you know that little screw on the bobbin holder. To make matters worse, there are 2 screws on mine. Adjusting the top tention is not working. The tention is not too bad, it's just that I'm using a different color thread on top and bottom and the bottom color thread is showing on the top no matter what I try.
Everything had been fine for the past many quilts but I used a different batting and flannel on the back of this one.
Any words of encouragement for me to take the screwdriver to the bobbin holder would be welcomed..... if that's what I should do )

Carole
Old 08-11-2013, 08:41 PM

Can't help you there - my machine has the tension adjustment on the screen so I don't have to monkey with that part of the machine. Maybe your machine needs a checkup at the shop. Make sure you are using the right size needle for the thread you are using. It is terribly frustrating isn't it!
Old 08-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Power Poster

How mmuch color is showingon top?

How much of the top color is showing on the bottom?

With some of my machines, a little dot of color shows even when the tension is balanced.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:42 PM

If your scared buy a second bobbin casing so you can keep onwe at factory settings and another one for adjusting
Old 08-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Gay

perhaps your threads are different thicknesses, but try loosening the top tension 2 or 3 points, and if that doesn't work, then tighten that bobbin screw a quarter or half a turn [ the one closest to where the thread comes out of the bobbin case] - clockwise to tighten, anti-clockwise to loosen.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:23 AM

The more you do it the better you'll be at adjusting. Just jump in there and do it! Take a picture of it or make a reference mark on the bobbin case before adjusting. Both feet...just jump...do it! It's one little screw, every one that sew needs to learn to do these simple adjustments themselves, you can do it! Just a quarter turn at a time. Remember righty tighty, lefty loosy...before you know it we'll have you setting your timing on that scary machine!....LOL! Whats the worse thing that could happen? Really? No fear, There's nothing to fear but fear itself! Tell fear to take a back seat, you're a woman on a mission, and the mission is perfect tension. So loosen up YOUR tension and be FREE from the FEAR of thread tension! You know you want to, don't let the naysayers win, your independent and adventurous spirit wants to turn that screw. Its one tiny little turn on your path to stunning award winning quilting. Now get in there and show it who's boss!
Old 08-12-2013, 03:27 AM
Power Poster

The only bad thing that can happen is the screw falls out and you can't find it. Hold it over a bowl when adjusting.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:28 AM

I change mine frequently with no ill effects when I change it back. I use many different types of thread, but also some pretty unusual "fabrics" (like paper, foils, metals, etc) so changing the bobbin tension is a necessity in some cases.

I simply made a mark on the bobbin case with a fine point Sharpie that lined up with the slot of the screw before I moved it for the first time. Now I can set it back again with no fear. There's lots of info on changing bobbin tension available online. More and more people are "daring" to do it these days.

Suggestions: take baby steps in the turning, use the face of a clock as reference points, make notes on what position works best for what combo of threads and fabric so you'll know for next time.

Last edited by ghostrider; 08-12-2013 at 03:32 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:39 AM

Sometimes you need to change it ! Ghost is correct - try marking it before you do. Go in tiny increments - I usually go 1/8 turn then check

This is a good Youtube video - it shows which screw to tighten.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaH9yB7XUBk

Remember righty tighty lefty loosey
Old 08-12-2013, 03:50 AM

We were encouraged to buy a second case for our Pfaff 1475. We had classes on bobbin embroidery, and bobbin ribbon embroidery at the dealers. You HAD to futz with a case to do any of this. The Pfaff manuals also explain how to adjust tension.

I've had adjustment screws work loose and change the bobbin tension. If you have learned how to adjust, you can check tension before putting bobbin in the machine.