Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I am just too scared!

I still have my cowboy quilt hanging on the wall waiting to be quilted.. I want to try free motion but just to scared..I have practiced and practiced but to scared to jump in and do something so big! Do you start square in the middle or in the middle on the edge?

Power Poster
    Start in the middle and work out. I was told to do it in quarters, but being that you have a wallhanging there shouldn't be a problem. Tell yourself that you can do it. Use comfortable stitches so if you have to rip out the stitches it will be easy for you to do so. Remember, we all have to rip out stiches for one reason or another, even the great quilters. Also to remember to breath and have fun. You can do it!

My very first quilted project was a scrappy quilt. I too was scared but I FORCED myself and kept in my head that it is just fabric and thread and a little time. :)
    I'm getting ready to quilt my fifth one and I'm still scared.
    Susie in northern NY

It is a crib size quilt...

Blog Entries
    Go for it girl! Relax - I've heard having a little 'adult' beverage before hand and some relaxing music on while FMQ helps one 'let go'.

Good luck - remember there's always another quilt next!

Trying anything other than stitch in the ditch scares me too! I am dying to try free motion and one of these days I'll get enough nerve to do it. Silver Dollar City is having their Fall Festival and a lady had tons of holiday table runners of all shapes and every one of them was done with stitch in the ditch. Just made me want to do something different more than ever.

Aw, you will do great!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I am hesitating also, so I know how you fell. We wont know until we try. This is what I am doing I have marked on the calendar when I am going to do it and have everything ready to start. You might surprise yourself. :thumbup: Just jump in and go for it :thumbup:

I know how you feel. My very first free motion quilted quilt was a QUEEN! It sat, all sandwiched and basted, for a year and a half before I got up the courage. A friend of mine finally told me to just go for it and showed me how to do it. What I did was just start in the middle with the quilt "puddled" around my needle instead of rolled up. It's much easier and less stiff. Yours is crib sized, so it should be that much simpler to do. Take a deep breath and give it a go... you can do it! :thumbup:

be brave,gotta start sometime

There isn't a stitching line I've found yet that couldn't be taken out. Start on it, if you don't like an area, or some stitching, take it out and start over!!!!

I've got one waiting also. I know to start in the middle but as I go along, how do I close up the 'open' end where I started or is that where I do end? What if I can't make it back to start? Clear as mud?

Go for it!....so I can live through you. I have only made two block on my first quilt. I plan to free motion it too and Im already scared.
    post pictures when you get it done. I'll be here cheering you on.

I learned something on here that has helped(actually I have learned lots of stuff)When you quilt bring your quilt fron the back of the machine towards you it makes it easier to see where you are going and gets the bulk out of your lap.I tried this and it was a great tip.

Be brave! You have already done the worrying part, so now it's time to move on to the next step - QUILTING! Go for it!

I would start in the middle and work your way out. Make sure is is securely spray basted or pinned. I always baste around the edges before starting. I found if I had puckers that's where they were and stitching helped stabilize it. I still get butterflies in my stomach every time I start quilting a new quilt. One other thing that may help is getting quilting gloves. They help you move the fabric. I have a pair from Fons and Porter, but my favorites were some gardening gloves with rubber dots on them. And they were so much cheaper. Have fun and keep us posted.

Deep breath, relax your arms, and start. It will be ok.

I haven't had enough courage to do anything but SITD . I went to a machine quilting class with my sister and my daughter and they picked it up right away. Mine was awful. They said that is because I tend to be more of a perfectionus(sp) than they are. I couldn't just relax and go with the flow. Good luck and be sure to let us know how it went for you.

Why not do a small sample of free motion quilting on some small object just before you start your larger project. I do this on 7-inch circles that or the crown for cancer hats I make for our sewing group. It makes them a little more special and gives me practice with relaxing and breathing while I do it. Also have done pillow tops for the same organization. Ladies are impressed and it gives me more practice.

RST
    Blog Entries
    Take a photo of the quilt and print it out as a full sheet of paper, black and white is ok. Now study the pattern, and use a marker to draw your plan for quilting it. Does it make more sense to start in the center and work out, or will it flow more naturally to work from the edges inward? Either works -- you just need to baste securely if you want to work from the edges in.

IF you have repeating blocks and want to have a repeated motif in your quilting, photocopy that block and doodle on the paper version with a marker until you have it perfected.

Then just dive in and do it. It's free motion quilting -- it's reversible with a seam ripper, and even your biggest booboo is probably not going to look bad in the context of the completed thing.

RST

I really like free motion. I too was scared at first. I started by using a scrap square to practice on. My first try wasn't great but it gave me confidence. Now, after several projects, my stitches look good. Try it , you'll like it !!

Start quilting by stitching in the ditch - all seams. After it is ditch quilted do the pattern quilting. Remember this is not your last quilt. You'll be so proud of yourself when it is finished. Don't roll the quilt to fit in the machine - If you pleat it to fit in the space between the needle and the head it will fit easily. Remember to adjust the quilt so the weight is not pulling on the area being quilted. Wear gloves (I love machingers) and make sure your machine bed is clean so the quilt will move easily.
    Good Luck!!!

I recently took a FMQ class from Frieda Anderson and I used her suggestion for the last two that I did. Secure the quilt in large sections with invisible thread on the front. It made the process so much easier.

The last one I did was a twin size coverlet type thing... I started in the middle and did a stipple type pattern and worked out in a bit of a spiral. I did a small section, rotated, did another small section, etc. and worked my way around. Starting in the middle helps keep everything together and there's less of a chance of puckering... any time I have jumped to the outside edge too soon I always regret it. Things shift and move and you don't notice it until it's waaaaayyyy too late!

Dianne,

Someone gave a hint recently that is GREAT!!!!!

If your machine has a stop/start button, use that for FMQ instead of your foot pedal! Practice at a very slow speed and speed up as you gain confidence. This suggestion was a game changer for me!

Good luck, and have FUN!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast