Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am just too scared! >

I am just too scared!

I am just too scared!

Old 10-20-2010, 04:30 AM

I really like free motion. I too was scared at first. I started by using a scrap square to practice on. My first try wasn't great but it gave me confidence. Now, after several projects, my stitches look good. Try it , you'll like it !!
Old 10-20-2010, 04:32 AM

Start quilting by stitching in the ditch - all seams. After it is ditch quilted do the pattern quilting. Remember this is not your last quilt. You'll be so proud of yourself when it is finished. Don't roll the quilt to fit in the machine - If you pleat it to fit in the space between the needle and the head it will fit easily. Remember to adjust the quilt so the weight is not pulling on the area being quilted. Wear gloves (I love machingers) and make sure your machine bed is clean so the quilt will move easily.
Good Luck!!!
Old 10-20-2010, 04:47 AM

I recently took a FMQ class from Frieda Anderson and I used her suggestion for the last two that I did. Secure the quilt in large sections with invisible thread on the front. It made the process so much easier.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:00 AM

The last one I did was a twin size coverlet type thing... I started in the middle and did a stipple type pattern and worked out in a bit of a spiral. I did a small section, rotated, did another small section, etc. and worked my way around. Starting in the middle helps keep everything together and there's less of a chance of puckering... any time I have jumped to the outside edge too soon I always regret it. Things shift and move and you don't notice it until it's waaaaayyyy too late!
Old 10-20-2010, 05:55 AM

Dianne,

Someone gave a hint recently that is GREAT!!!!!

If your machine has a stop/start button, use that for FMQ instead of your foot pedal! Practice at a very slow speed and speed up as you gain confidence. This suggestion was a game changer for me!

Good luck, and have FUN!
Old 10-20-2010, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

If you are really too nervous to do that one, (I'd say just jump in and go and you will do fine), but you say you are scared. So...I would advise you to either whip together a quick little quilt- even just baste something together, then sandwich it and quilt away. That way...its only a true "practice" quilt and you won't be worried about messing anything up. After you've done this, you will know that you can do it, then start the cowboy quilt and have fun.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:47 AM

Make a quilt sandwich with a pre-printed panel, using the same batting as you have in your quilt. Practice on this - following the lines of the pattern and then FMQ in areas where that would fit. You can adjust your speed and get an idea of what works best for you. It does take some time to co-ordinate machine speed with your FMQ movements, but when you find your "groove" you should be more comfortable starting on your quilt.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:51 AM

For crib size I usually use the basting spray, and add a few pins to secure it all. Sort of like wearing a belt and suspenders--grin I have had good luck with the basting spray though.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by diannemc
I still have my cowboy quilt hanging on the wall waiting to be quilted.. I want to try free motion but just to scared..I have practiced and practiced but to scared to jump in and do something so big! Do you start square in the middle or in the middle on the edge?
Your quilt should be basted well enough with saftey pins, so you can start wherever you want. I generally start at the top right corner, but that's just a preference. If you have to start at the center so that you can continually adjust the backing, you haven't basted well enough. I find that spraying the layers with 505 spray helps keeps the fabric and batting from shifting while you pin, pin, pin!!
Old 10-20-2010, 09:56 AM

It is more important to have fun than it is to be perfect--unless you are entering into a show.... I'd rather have fun! :thumbup: