Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Too scared to touch the bobbin screw >

Too scared to touch the bobbin screw

Too scared to touch the bobbin screw

Old 08-12-2013, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

I also recommend NO MORE than 1/8 turn at a time. And mark where you started from. Write a note to yourself or make a drawing of where you started.

On the other hand, if you make a BIG adjustment, you can see right away what the change is.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
If your scared buy a second bobbin casing so you can keep onwe at factory settings and another one for adjusting
This is a very good idea! You can also make a small mark with a sharpie so you know where the screw was so you can put it back.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:55 AM

Most bobbin cases do have 2 screws. One is for the construction of the bobbin case and the one closest to the thread strand that comes out is for adjustment purposes. I have 2 bobbin cases. One I never change and the other I change all the time if working with bobbin work or such as Weezy Rider says.

Think of the bobbin tension and the thread tension as having to adjust how the threads meet. Usually there is plenty of room for adjusting only the top tension. If there isn't then maybe you need to have your machine serviced. Whenever I have had real problems with the upper tension adjustment it was because the machine needed a 'spa day' with my repair person.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:10 AM

Thank you so much for all the encouragement to just jump in there, and for all the suggestions.
I will see if my spare machine has the same bobbin case and use that one. If not, I will mark the spot where I start and do 1/8" adjustment at a time. I'll let you know how things work out today.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:05 PM

OK.... I tried to reset my bobbin tention. Tighter and looser, adjusting the top tention to compensate.
It didn't work, so perhaps it does need a spa day and as berisgray said there is a little tiny dot of the bottom color showing and the back looks good, so tention is pretty good. So I am going to do what I usually do and that is to use the same color top and bottom. I have a print on the back that has all the colors on the top so each color thread will just blend in.
Thanks again for all of your help, you are always so helpful. )
Old 08-12-2013, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
If your scared buy a second bobbin casing so you can keep onwe at factory settings and another one for adjusting

That's what I did. I keep one for quilting with various different threads in top vs bottom and I change the tension as needed. The other case I leave at the factory setting.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
The more you do it the better you'll be at adjusting. Just jump in there and do it! Take a picture of it or make a reference mark on the bobbin case before adjusting. Both feet...just jump...do it! It's one little screw, every one that sew needs to learn to do these simple adjustments themselves, you can do it! Just a quarter turn at a time. Remember righty tighty, lefty loosy...before you know it we'll have you setting your timing on that scary machine!....LOL! Whats the worse thing that could happen? Really? No fear, There's nothing to fear but fear itself! Tell fear to take a back seat, you're a woman on a mission, and the mission is perfect tension. So loosen up YOUR tension and be FREE from the FEAR of thread tension! You know you want to, don't let the naysayers win, your independent and adventurous spirit wants to turn that screw. Its one tiny little turn on your path to stunning award winning quilting. Now get in there and show it who's boss!
Well leatherflea, you are one motivational speaker!! You must have been a cheerleader in your younger days! I totally agree with you. For years I was told about not touching "the screw." But once you do it, you'll become more confident. Marking the original position is a good tip. Just take it slow and test it after each adjustment. I also like the idea of a spare casing. Go for it!