Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Introducing my 1870 Florence Treadle >

Introducing my 1870 Florence Treadle

Introducing my 1870 Florence Treadle

Old 07-11-2014, 01:08 PM

Holy Moly!! That is an amazing find and story! Such good fortune to find the shuttle & bobbin is a marvel! Enjoy to your heart's content.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:15 AM
Banned

Pays to do some research and ask a question...

I did a search on the auction site of completed listing and found a person who had sold a couple Florence needles recently. I messaged him and asked if he had any more. He replied, that he'd look.

Last night he listed one for $19 with a 6 day auction!!! I replied i was hoping for a $30 buy it now. He obliged. I now have a needle on the way (from here in Ca)
Old 07-12-2014, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Pays to do some research and ask a question...

I did a search on the auction site of completed listing and found a person who had sold a couple Florence needles recently. I messaged him and asked if he had any more. He replied, that he'd look.

Last night he listed one for $19 with a 6 day auction!!! I replied i was hoping for a $30 buy it now. He obliged. I now have a needle on the way (from here in Ca)
One of the reasons I don't collect the true antiques.
Your needle cost more than I've paid for any of my machines. It's well worth it for the Florence to sew again though.
I can also see why you're so interested in reviving some of the obsolete types of needles. I think it's a great idea too.
Rodney
Old 07-12-2014, 12:20 PM

I agree very worthwhile historically. Not everyday you can see a Florence, Grover & Baker, or Wheeler & Wilson curved needle machine in action. I'd go out of my way a few miles to see such a display (though not cross country).

Jon

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
One of the reasons I don't collect the true antiques.
Your needle cost more than I've paid for any of my machines. It's well worth it for the Florence to sew again though.
I can also see why you're so interested in reviving some of the obsolete types of needles. I think it's a great idea too.
Rodney
Old 07-12-2014, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
....I'd go out of my way a few miles to see such a display (though not cross country).
Jon
I agree Jon, although it would only be “halfway cross country” for me. I’d love to see Steve’s display. That’s why I put in a request for photos.

Steve, do you wear “period correct” clothing when you do your presentation?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 07-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Banned

Pics available anytime. I have TONS. I am working on the database-centric website now. too much stuff to program each new machine to a site manually.

We are working towards more correct clothing. While I am deep into the machines, my Lady is getting deep into the cutting and tailoring books and tools. We drafted my vest, made a "prototype" in muslin, then adjusted the pattern. 2nd muslin worked. We have that set aside for when we have the "set" patterned and functional, then fabric shopping.

Her dress worked the first pass, as did my daughters. IF they EVER decide on the final fabric, we can make them.

I am working with a friend who is a skilled medieval cobbler (turnshoes and the like) He is working his way through a Victorian book on shoe making as I am working on the Politype.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:10 PM

I had a feeling that you were matching with the correct garb. My compliments to you and your company. How fun!

CD in Oklahoma
Old 07-14-2014, 04:07 AM

Very nice machine! The quest for needles is amazing. I really like the old needle boxes and need to study the machines they were for.
Helen
Old 07-14-2014, 09:21 PM
Banned

The Needle arrived already!!!! (I ordered this on Saturday...)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]483318[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]483319[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20140714_221106_sm.jpg   20140714_220546_sm.jpg  
Old 07-15-2014, 04:30 AM

Wow, that is super exciting! You get to try her out!! ... Does the needle actually say 'Florence' on it? Really incredible machine and I absolutely LOVE the part about the 3-in-1 solution to your problem That is karma doing its finest work there for you Steve. You must be a really top bloke