Introducing my Favta Darling

Old 08-25-2020, 03:08 PM

Default Introducing my Favta Darling

Hello, new member here. I wanted to share with you one of my latest vintage machine acquisitions - a Favta Darling. She was made in Frauenfeld, Switzerland in the early 1950s. Similar in size and weight to a Featherweight, she looks a bit like an Elna. (see photos)

A little history: The Favta company was not profitable, although after World War II, Swiss manufacturers like Bernina provided machines to other European countries whose production had been affected by the war. The factory was relocated in hopes of finding a new market. After only a few years, however, production again generated too little sales. This can be explained by the lack of awareness of the sewing machines. Although they were of high quality, the Favta models were subject to competition: both Bernina and Elna enjoyed regional and international fame. In 1966, the company's management decided to close the production facility for good, and the Favta sewing machine was soon forgotten.

So this little "darling" popped up for sale locally last month. I didn't know what she was, but a little research showed me that she was quite rare. We drove 2 hours to get her, taking care to practice social distancing and wear masks. The daughter of the original owner said that her mother did not like sewing much, so the machine saw little use. It came in a cute little suitcase, with original manual, accessories, lots of feet, original needles, bobbin case, and unique little bobbins. The only thing it's missing is the extension table. Some day perhaps I'll find one.

I had not had time to check her over until today. All seemed well until I discovered that the belt is missing from the hand wheel!! So I've left her with my local sewing machine guy to see if he can source that and also check her over from end to end. I've read that the Darling is considered one part of the "Swiss Trio" - which would be the Darling, the Bernina 125, and the Elna #1 "Grasshopper." So I have two more machines to find in order to complete the trio.

Kathy Judge Blacklock
Amelia Island, Florida

My "collection"
Featherweights (2)
Necchi BU
Bernina 530 Record
Favta Darling
Attached Thumbnails 00100trportrait_00100_burst20200723090108307_cover.jpg   00100trportrait_00100_burst20200723125626204_cover.jpg  

Last edited by kathyjbl; 08-25-2020 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Add signature
Old 08-25-2020, 04:40 PM

cute machine this is the first I have heard of them, thanks for posting about it
Old 08-26-2020, 02:21 AM

First I have heard of those machines as well but it definitely is a 'darling'. Enjoy!
Old 08-26-2020, 02:36 AM

Well done!
Old 08-26-2020, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Cute and how different to see a hand wheel that low on the side. Thanks for all the historical info on the Darling. Enjoy!
Old 08-26-2020, 05:46 AM

My Elna Supermatics are waving to their cousin.. I am still looking for a grasshopper.

Welcome aboard.Fun machine.

Isn't there a big car show at Amellia island?
Attached Thumbnails elnas-front-rear-b.jpg  
Old 08-26-2020, 07:50 AM

Hi cousin! When I'm searching, I often see Supermatics mis-labeled as Grasshoppers. They do look like fun machines. I mentioned to my sewing machine guy that I'm looking for one, and he (of course) says that his wife has one. Just about every machine I mention, he says she's got one; he specializes in Featherweights and has all the colors! LOL

Yes, the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance -- it's a big deal here every spring. Brings in lots of money, tourists, cool cars, and famous people. We like to gawk at the line of private jets parked at the local municipal airport. The hotels and businesses love it. Us locals... not so much. It's expensive to attend and the whole island is clogged. But fun if you're a car enthusiast for sure.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by kathyjbl View Post
Hello, new member here. I wanted to share with you one of my latest vintage machine acquisitions - a Favta Darling. She was made in Frauenfeld, Switzerland in the early 1950s. Similar in size and weight to a Featherweight, she looks a bit like an Elna. (see photos)

A little history: The Favta company was not profitable, although after World War II, Swiss manufacturers like Bernina provided machines to other European countries whose production had been affected by the war. The factory was relocated in hopes of finding a new market. After only a few years, however, production again generated too little sales. This can be explained by the lack of awareness of the sewing machines. Although they were of high quality, the Favta models were subject to competition: both Bernina and Elna enjoyed regional and international fame. In 1966, the company's management decided to close the production facility for good, and the Favta sewing machine was soon forgotten.

So this little "darling" popped up for sale locally last month. I didn't know what she was, but a little research showed me that she was quite rare. We drove 2 hours to get her, taking care to practice social distancing and wear masks. The daughter of the original owner said that her mother did not like sewing much, so the machine saw little use. It came in a cute little suitcase, with original manual, accessories, lots of feet, original needles, bobbin case, and unique little bobbins. The only thing it's missing is the extension table. Some day perhaps I'll find one.

I had not had time to check her over until today. All seemed well until I discovered that the belt is missing from the hand wheel!! So I've left her with my local sewing machine guy to see if he can source that and also check her over from end to end. I've read that the Darling is considered one part of the "Swiss Trio" - which would be the Darling, the Bernina 125, and the Elna #1 "Grasshopper." So I have two more machines to find in order to complete the trio.

Kathy Judge Blacklock
Amelia Island, Florida

My "collection"
Featherweights (2)
Necchi BU
Bernina 530 Record
Favta Darling

Hi! I've just bought a Favta/Darling the same as yours. Do you know the needle type? A flat back seems to only sit well if it's sideways. And a round doesn't sit too well either. There's very, very little information about.

Thankyou!
Old 10-28-2021, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Cute machine collection!
Old 10-28-2021, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Nomih3 View Post
Hi! I've just bought a Favta/Darling the same as yours. Do you know the needle type? A flat back seems to only sit well if it's sideways. And a round doesn't sit too well either. There's very, very little information about.

Thankyou!
Hi! I have the booklet that came with the machine, so here's what it says about needles:

"Use only System 705 or standard 15 x 1 sewing machine needles." So, standard machine needles are fine.

As far as placing the needle in the machine, you are correct - it goes flat side to the left.

I bought a second Favta Darling last year from an eBay seller in the U.K. The main reason I wanted it was because it had the slide-on extension table, which was missing on my first one. Unfortunately for the rest of the machine, it came damaged (the tension unit) and was unrepairable. But I got the table, and I have been parting out bits and pieces of the broken one. At this point I think all I have left is the body, the inner workings, the motor, and the carrying case - just to let you know in case you need something.

Have fun with your Darling!