Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Janome Newhome 672 repair help >

Janome Newhome 672 repair help

Janome Newhome 672 repair help

Old 10-23-2014, 12:07 PM

Default Janome Newhome 672 repair help

Hello everyone. I have a Janome New Home Model 672 sewing machine that I have just finished cleaning and oiling. It seems that it is now working well, except for the back stitch when using the cams for decorative stitches. Everything else seems fine. I can't figure out if something is not hitting correctly, or if I missed something getting oiled. The reverse button is working, and the feed dogs are working, just not with the cams. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have all but exhausted my internet searching and will soon go cross eyed.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

There are some cams that don't do reverse
Old 10-23-2014, 02:38 PM

Miriam is correct. Many machines that use cams do not have a stretch stitch capability. It takes that ability to do the fancy cams that require back and forth movement.

Joe
Old 10-23-2014, 02:44 PM

Hi, tootsie. The 672 is a nice machine.

I'm wondering if you need to have your width or length at a particular setting in order for the cams to work. Also, do the cam stitches that don't require reverse feed work as intended such as the scallop design?

Do you have the manual?
Old 10-23-2014, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

It could be there is some dried up oil in there some where. I have a Kenmore that has given me fits - it only runs in reverse. I've done all kinds of clean up on it. It just likes reverse - I'm pretty sure it is gummed up with something somewhere and I haven't found it yet. Keep trying.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:00 PM

Hi KenmoreRulesAll, I have tried it on different width and length, and that does not solve the problem. The cams do work on the decorative stitches that do not require reverse feed. So, I am wondering if I am missing a spring somewhere. The manual covers how to work the cams, and what the settings should be, but not how the mechanism works.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2014, 04:02 PM

Thanks J Miller and Miriam, but this machine does use the back and forth movement, I just may be missing a spring or something. Old machine, and I just got it.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:03 PM

You might also try playing with your upper tension dial, a little bit to the right or maybe a little bit to the left is all you might need to get the cam to form the stitches.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:05 PM

Miriam, I can see where the working should hit to make the reverse work, and I really thought I got all the gunk out. Tomorrow is another day, and I plan on stopping by my local sewing machine repair shop and see if they can help. I have it down to just this one thing, and don't want to spend the money on a repair that I know I can do myself. But, still looking for more input.
Thanks
Old 10-23-2014, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

You may have a tiny little piece of dried up oil somewhere in the reverse area or in the feed dog area. It can be hard to track down. I don't know if your repair person can do any better on it than you can. Give it some more time with the oil. Drop a little oil on it - then turn the machine on it's side then turn the machine after a while. Keep turning the machine. It needs some time out. I wish somebody hadn't run off Mizkaki by calling her a know it all in a pm. She really would know how to fix this one. You might try sending a pm to her and see if she would answer.