Jones Hand Machine

Old 07-12-2012, 07:47 AM

This is how I found that machine. I found a FW that was in my price range but it was 2.5 hour drive north of us. DH said 'sure' and off we went for a lovely autumn drive north. It happened to be in the area we first met in about 8 years ago... so, it was sorta a romantic trip. We finally found the couples home way out in the woods. They had an exquisitely beautiful, handcrafted wood home. That is handcrafted inside and out. They gave us a tour and history of how it all came to be. The woman took me up to her sewing loft to see the FW. She mentioned that the six handcranks she had displayed on the top of her beautiful wood cabinets were also for sale. I had never seen a handcrank before. My DH works with wood so the husband showed him all of his equipment and wood and mentioned that he would sell this narly (sp) wood for practically nothings. So, we left with the complete FW, case, attachments and all AND returned the next week with our trailer in tow. I bought the two most interesting and unusual handcranks and DH bought the wood. We really enjoyed the couple and all that they shared with us. We truly have met the nicest people through craigslist.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:46 AM

Have you tried this?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t186522.html
Old 09-28-2012, 07:26 AM

Cute sewing machine. That one must have been "the cat's meow" in it's day. Even with it being a hand crank it must have ever so much quicker than hand stitching.