Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Judy Jetson the Elna Supermatic >

Judy Jetson the Elna Supermatic

Judy Jetson the Elna Supermatic

Old 04-10-2014, 01:30 PM

Default Judy Jetson the Elna Supermatic

Yep it happened again!
I really was only trying to find some parts for my White 651 but this little cutie caught my eye and she has joined the herd! I had thought the Grasshopper, which is a green version, was what I would try and find but when I saw her on our Utah version of online classifieds I wondered. I did a bit of research and found that she had cams and of course does zig-zag so I decided I would call on it. I wondered when the seller didn't call me back if it was already sold but no...he has left his phone in the car.
Drove to Salt Lake City to check it out and I was sold. When he mentioned that he had gotten 2 more calls since I had reached him at 9 AM decided not to try and haggle and paid him the $50 since it did have the cams and feet and manual. Now to get DH to clean it up for me.
I have decided that this board has been a bad (but really fun) influence on me lately! LOL It's better than hanging out in bars to going to Vegas every few months or so!
Attached Thumbnails dscf0271.jpg   dscf0273.jpg   dscf0277.jpg  
Old 04-10-2014, 01:33 PM

Oh, and by the way are those two little plates with the hole and slot in the middle (bottom row of the feet photo) for covering the feed dogs? That's all I can figure but I know someone will know for sure.
Bye the way she is called Judy Jetson because with a name like Supermatic it takes me back to the old TV show the Jetsons
Old 04-10-2014, 02:34 PM

Yes, the plates are to cover the feed dogs. Likely you'll need to refurbish the motor pulley or replace it if it runs loudly. Enjoy.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:19 PM

Lucky you! A nice collection of feet and the tool try too! I also have a beige Supermatic and even funnier..I have a White 651! The Supermatic is a nice little machine. I had to replace the pulley in mine..they get a flat spot if the machine has been sitting. Not to hard to fix though. Congrats!

My 651 is still awaiting table time...bad wiring but sure looks like a great machine!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:07 PM

Cathie,

Tell your hubby when he cleans the Elna to keep all liquids away from the red Elna decals. The color will run. And if the red gets on the tan body paint it may not ever come off completely.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Cathieinut View Post
Yep it happened again!
I really was only trying to find some parts for my White 651 but this little cutie caught my eye and she has joined the herd! I had thought the Grasshopper, which is a green version, was what I would try and find but when I saw her on our Utah version of online classifieds I wondered. I did a bit of research and found that she had cams and of course does zig-zag so I decided I would call on it. I wondered when the seller didn't call me back if it was already sold but no...he has left his phone in the car.
Drove to Salt Lake City to check it out and I was sold. When he mentioned that he had gotten 2 more calls since I had reached him at 9 AM decided not to try and haggle and paid him the $50 since it did have the cams and feet and manual. Now to get DH to clean it up for me.
I have decided that this board has been a bad (but really fun) influence on me lately! LOL It's better than hanging out in bars to going to Vegas every few months or so!
Old 04-10-2014, 10:42 PM

Funny is right Mrs Sew n Sew! Do you have the cams for the 651? I am on the look out for the cams and a new bobbin case for it.
So far the machine is quite quiet and I haven't noticed the growling noise people have mentioned.
Cathy thanks for the warning about the red Elna...does that include oil? Just checking.
Hopefully once he finishes up the taxes there will be time for him to service this machine and also my Singer 301 which is patiently waiting for an oil job.
I am hoping to find a screwdriver and maybe replace the accessory box as it is cracked in half in the middle but it's still usable now. I counted and it has 6 regular and 6 double cams and I read that any Elna cams will work in it! Can't wait to do a test run of the machine soon with fabric as I have just checked it out so far "dry"
Old 04-10-2014, 10:48 PM

Cathie,

Yes, oil also may cause the red to 'run'. Use caution if you do try the oil. Maybe apply a very small amount with a Q-tip on the backside of the machine.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Cathieinut View Post
Cathy thanks for the warning about the red Elna...does that include oil? Just checking.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:50 AM

Wow ! how cool! I love it !
*and I also found mine looking for parts for my white.my white is a 764 though.were all weak like that I guess lolMy elna is an automatic not suppermatic <SO it cant take the double cams
Old 04-11-2014, 07:51 AM

Ahhh! I probably was kne lof the other callers. Lol glad to know she went to a good home. Lol so.. did ya see the other one where they only used it as decoration and it had cams.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:02 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by foufymaus View Post
Ahhh! I probably was kne lof the other callers. Lol glad to know she went to a good home. Lol so.. did ya see the other one where they only used it as decoration and it had cams.
Sorry! I will post if I see another one for you! LOL
No, I haven't seen any others on KSL.com. Bye the way this guy has lots of stuff from storage auctions so maybe he might find something else you might be interested it...you never know. He was a nice guy and even sold me something for my DH and his railroad memorabilia collection