Junky bobbins

Old 10-15-2010, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Twilliebee
I don't know if this would help, but I really like the Magic Genie bobbin inserts. It's just a like piece of teflon you drop into the bobbin case to prevent friction. They were invented by Sharon Schamber. I got mine online but if you live in a larger centre they are probably in the stores.
Ive never heard of these, I dont get out much I spend to much time on here, and I live in the sticks. I'm wiling to give anything a try at this point. I even thought about buying another machine , I own 3, but I stepped back and realized that with another machine may come another problem so work with what you have. Then my next thought was to buy one of those Side winders to do the unwinding. ugg.....
Old 10-15-2010, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Originally Posted by fktsewing
ok, first of all, you need to find your model number of your singer sewing machine---you really cannot buy bobbins for Singer machines without this---there are so many different kinds and the ones at JoAnns are generic
Now you can google: singer sewing machine #____ bobbins and companies that carry them will come up or you can try www.sewingmachinesplus.com/singerbobbins and find your model number and click on it---if you cannot find it on the list, then contact them via email---they are very nice people
Good idea, I've always just bought the ones that look like they are the same. I don't have a manual to go with it, maybe I should try to find that to...oh gosh heres where the A.D.D. starts kicking in! LOL
Also, if you get the serial # off it, you can get a copy of the manual off the internet. Go to singersewingmachine.com and you will find a huge list of machines. I got my manual from a place in Michigan; forgot the name of it at the moment, but there are lots of places.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:26 AM

With a 1941 Singer that I use constantly, I had the same problem. I got on Ebay, found a sewing machine guy that was really knowedgeable, and ordered 24 bobbins after explaining the problem and giving him my serial number. They work like the originals. Unfortunately, this was a couple of years ago so I don't know who he was....
Old 10-16-2010, 04:02 AM

I had the same problem with my Elna Quilters Friend, the bobbin the shop owner sold me clutched the thread, I lined it up with an old one and it was a hair's breath wider. With three sewing machines I mark the bobbin boxes so I get the right one.
I bought a bobbin winder and love it, don't have to stop and rethread the machine all the time.

Carol J.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:26 AM

I have 2 Brother's and they use different bobbins. If I put the wrong one in the machine it'll cause a big mess.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:36 AM

I use an older model singer to quilt with. In the last few months I've been expanding my sewing and have needed more bobbins. Bought the singer brand, they catch and tug on the thread causing puckers. I know singer has went down hill in the last few years the machine arent the quality that they used to be, but they cant even get a bobbin right. So I went to joanns and bought another brand only to find that they too do the same thing. I can tell when I take them out of the package that they are lighter wieght and don't feel as smooth as my older bobbins. Any one else have this problem. Right now I have 3 bobbins that will not catch in my machine. So when I change color I take an old bobbin and wind the thread to a new bobbin so I can use the old bobbin. Very time consuming and frustrating. I've even tried smoothing out the new bobbins with fine sand paper. Cleaned and oiled machine thinking that was the problem. I tried plactic bobbins. Yesterday I just wanted to take a hammer to the darn machine. I have a new embroidery machine but I dont like using it for basic sewing. You know putting alot of milage on it may cause shop time and money. Up for suggestions. Thanks so much for any help.
Sometimes in the older machines the lightweight bobbins ([plastic) act up because they are not heavy enough to handle the tension, I buy vintage bobbins appropriate to my machines which are metal. Also make sure that you are feeding the thread off in the proper direction per machine instructions as this can make a big difference. Just search on ebay for the bobbins.:-)
Old 10-16-2010, 07:23 AM

Lots of good advice, so I won't add anything.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:08 AM

I use an older model singer to quilt with. In the last few months I've been expanding my sewing and have needed more bobbins. Bought the singer brand, they catch and tug on the thread causing puckers. I know singer has went down hill in the last few years the machine arent the quality that they used to be, but they cant even get a bobbin right. So I went to joanns and bought another brand only to find that they too do the same thing. I can tell when I take them out of the package that they are lighter wieght and don't feel as smooth as my older bobbins. Any one else have this problem. Right now I have 3 bobbins that will not catch in my machine. So when I change color I take an old bobbin and wind the thread to a new bobbin so I can use the old bobbin. Very time consuming and frustrating. I've even tried smoothing out the new bobbins with fine sand paper. Cleaned and oiled machine thinking that was the problem. I tried plactic bobbins. Yesterday I just wanted to take a hammer to the darn machine. I have a new embroidery machine but I dont like using it for basic sewing. You know putting alot of milage on it may cause shop time and money. Up for suggestions. Thanks so much for any help.
Go to a reputable Singer dealer, or try a sewing machine repair business. There are so many different kinds of bobbins that wr ALMOST the same - and may look that way to the naked eye. The dealer should be able to get you the original, correctly fitting bobbin.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:24 AM

Having had the same problem I went out and bought some of the Magic Bobbin Washers. ( www.freemotionsliders.com) They are made by the same company that makes the free motion slider sheets. They are made of teflon.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:04 PM

Lea,
I have stopped buying the new bobbins for my old machines as some of them just aren't made well. I've been fortunate to find ebay auctions for original Singer bobbins. I frequently use 3 Singer treadles: A 201k and it uses the class 66 bobbins and a 237 and 15-90, the last 2 both use class 15 bobbins. Some of the new Singer featherweight bobbins are horrible, they're not quite round and had one get stuck in my bobbin case.
So for me the answer is only original bobbins.
(sorry this was so long).
Sharon W. in Texas