Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Just joined - so excited this group exists! >

Just joined - so excited this group exists!

Just joined - so excited this group exists!

Old 12-12-2015, 02:58 PM

Default Just joined - so excited this group exists!

Why did I not know this group is around? I found you yesterday, read post after post in this forum, and have been amazed at the enthusiasm, knowledge, and generosity you all exhibit. I'm Maggie. I have a singer Featherweight 221 Centennial edition, a Bernina 930 Record, and just today, I purchased a Singer 15-91 in the art deco cabinet at a thrift store for $75. I have no idea if the machine will ever run. The cabinet was worth the money to me. It's a bit banged up, no belt, and the cords look a bit sad. The cabinet is gorgeous with one little ding, and the drawers have all kinds of goodies, including the original user manual.

I also bought a china cabinet, so my two pieces will be delivered some time this week (Drexel Heritage, in pristine condition for $50). I would like to learn how to repair my own machines. Not sure I'll try on this 15. I might get a professional opinion on whether it's salvageable.

I have to share how I got my Featherweight. About 10 years ago, I decided I wanted to learn to quilt. My SIL was in fashion design school at the time. She went to pick up her industrial machine that had been out for service. The repairman had some vintage machines for sales, include two FW, which he had just tuned up. One had all the accessories and original (smelly) case, the other one had no case. She purchased both for $175 and gave me the complete one as a birthday gift. Neither of us was familiar with machine, but loved it instantly. I signed up for a beginner quilting class. The first day, I unpacked my little machine. The instructor and shop owner practically genuflected when they saw her. They told me how lucky I was to have the little baby. She's still my favorite for piecing!
Thanks for having me in this group!
Maggie
Old 12-12-2015, 03:03 PM

Welcome from Wis Maggie. Lots to learn here. I look forward to reading your posts and hearing about your experiences.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:14 PM

Hi Maggie,
welcome to the board, from New Hampshire. What current quilt projects are you working on?
Old 12-12-2015, 04:08 PM

Welcome - as to the 15-91 being fixable - almost certainly! It's very hard to put one of those down for the count!
Old 12-12-2015, 04:18 PM

Hi Maggie and welcome aboard. If you plan on getting into refurbishingand repairing machines like your Singer 15 a lot of information available hereon the board. There is a great manualfor Singers available on line at Tools for Self-Reliance www.tfrs.org How to refurbish sewing machines. Thismanual has been a big help to me.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:26 PM

Hi Maggie, welcome to the quiltboard from NE Ohio, glad you decided to get onboard.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:40 PM

Hello, Maggie! Welcome to the QB from this Florida Member! I know you will find lots of information and assistance on this Board! I have, for sure, and I've only been a member for about 3 years (I think that's right). This board is also a source of inspiration and I know you'll learn, as I have! Again, welcome aboard!

Jeanette
Old 12-12-2015, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

Hi Maggie, and welcome! You will find lots of info at this place.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:00 PM
KLO

Hello Maggie, Welcome to the QB from me in NC. Better pull up a very comfortable chair because there is a lot of great stuff to read here posted by a lot of sharing, knowledge people. I too have a 15-91 in the deco cabinet and it had drawers full of stuff. You got a better deal than I did though ..... well, maybe not as my dh bought mine for me as a gift. Ha!
Old 12-12-2015, 05:06 PM
Banned

Welcome Maggie, I'm sure you'll find all the help you need here. I'll start out by giving you this bit of info- the 15-91 doesn't need a belt! It has a direct drive "potted" motor. Don't worry if the machine looked well used. Those are sometimes the best machines.

Cari