Keep me from serger murder!

Old 10-04-2015, 05:24 PM

I'm still fussing with my Babylock Serger -- I don't use it much -- but if I have a problem, my son is usually around and can give me guidance so that I don't commit murder or pull my hair out! I can understand your frustration with a serger -- I don't deal with them very well myself. Good luck on getting yours working properly!

Jeanette
Old 10-05-2015, 04:47 AM

Where or where is the LIKE button?
Old 10-05-2015, 05:43 AM

I don't know how close it is to your serger, but there is a video on the Pfaff Hobbylock 788 on youtube (Part III, Threading the Serger) that might give you a clue as to the problem.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:30 PM

I have a "free" serger lurking in my sewing room right now I'm afraid to even open up. I've never used a serger at all, and this one has been given away twice because it "cannot" get good tension. It's a modern Singer and about 50% of the online reviewers have sent theirs back as lemons. I'm saving it for a day where I have a nice big well of patience, and so far haven't had one of those! I've gotten so far as to download the manual, but then I read it through and realized there are no less than 20 pages devoted just to threading the thing, and I lost my bravery.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:24 PM

Thanks, 19Cats, I'm watching it now. It is different enough, but I am hoping she'll have some hints at the end.

The R looper on mine has a screw on top where it joins the ...well, you know. There is an adjustment screw, so I'll be taking a look at that.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:35 PM

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-002

I found this link, which is helpful.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I have a "free" serger lurking in my sewing room right now I'm afraid to even open up. I've never used a serger at all, and this one has been given away twice because it "cannot" get good tension. It's a modern Singer and about 50% of the online reviewers have sent theirs back as lemons. I'm saving it for a day where I have a nice big well of patience, and so far haven't had one of those! I've gotten so far as to download the manual, but then I read it through and realized there are no less than 20 pages devoted just to threading the thing, and I lost my bravery.
Which one is it?
Old 10-05-2015, 03:55 PM

Oh, I LOVE the "Shaken Serger Syndrome!" Will have to try that at work some time. LOL!

I don't think this machine has it, but if it did... tightening the presser foot tension will help get over the bulky seams.

It seems like everything is working except the upper looper. That upper looper should come right up into the lower looper's "shoulder," and have "just enough" wiggle space, so that when you push the front looper, there's a little movement before it hits the lower looper.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:34 AM

I'll be watching this thread. I have a 788 and I can't get the right looper to work either. I have tried everything I can think of! Grrrrrrr
Old 10-06-2015, 05:06 AM

I can remember many a day that I wanted my serger to die a violent death. I put it on the shelf and forgot about it for 2 years and I started fixing up machines. One day I got it out to make some napkins (the only thing I do with it anymore) and figured out in 2 seconds that I had the wrong needles in it. It took plain jane universals and I had plain sergers in it (which someone sold me and was SURE it was the right needles).
Yup, needles get me every time.