Kenmore. 117-959

Old 01-05-2012, 07:03 AM

I have two of these! One I was given in case I wanted parts (no motor), the other works great other than (as I posted a couple of months ago here..) has a problem with the pressure foot shaft wiggling just enough so thicker fabric or layers of fabric cause the foot to move out of alignment and break needles so I really can't use it except for sewing clothing. It is a powerhouse. Also got all the books, attachments, and most accessories including 5 button holers! I would be willing to part with this stuff but you are quite far from me! I hope someone responds who is closer as you will love this quaint, HEAVY, machine once you get it going.

Last edited by AnotherMadQuilter; 01-05-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:29 AM

where do I find the tutorial, I have looked and can't fine it, thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 10:25 AM

Cleaning a universal sewing motor will take you to the thread I did on cleaning up a motor.

What I can think of offhand that is different on these is that the terminal where the cord plugs in is attached to the motor housing. I cracked mine when I was pulling it apart and used a little super glue to fix it, so be careful of that. Take lots of pictures as you are pulling it apart is my best advice! Cleaning it up will probably make a ton of difference. Could just be grease and grime burning that you smell.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:18 AM

If it has been in storage, oil could of gotten in the motor. I bet it is fine. But good to check it out. I see alot of these around here but they have high prices on CL. Never seen the cabinet open. The drawers are great.

Look forward to following your progress.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:33 AM

If you need a buttonholer, I ran across one today in a salvage shop - price will be reasonable. Buttonholer was complete with manual and templates/cams (whatever they're called). Let me know if you're interested and I can check on the price. Shipping shouldn't be too much from Kansas.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:09 AM

Default Kenmore sewing machine

Originally Posted by Grannyh67 View Post
I am going to try this again, just bought this, have manual and attachments, need motor and motor pulley. It needs a lot of work and cleaning up. Any help on parts would be greatly appreciated. I am attaching Pic's. I got this for $15.00 Cabinet and all, Granny
Super deal I think It looks pretty old,As I tell my family when I find something kinda of old It may have missed Noah and the Arc but it made it on the May Flower .LOL.I am very happy for you.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:25 AM

The cabinet alone is worth the $15 that you paid!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:19 PM

Yes the cabinet is great, I have it almost restored. It is going to look great. The machine is another story, if I can get the motor going ok then there is the issue of the bobbin. Not sure what is going on there. Well back to the drawing board. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:26 AM

New at the group! Own one exactly like yours, cabinet and all. Sadly, came without a bobbin case or bobbin in it. Have been looking for them for months now. can anybody help? congratulations! I paid way more for mine
Old 02-05-2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Grannyh67 View Post
The motor did run, smoke came out of it so I stopped. The motor pulley is hard ans flat on one side. I know it had set up in a garage for a long time. Everything moved freely when I started it up them smoke came out, lol. I am going to try to take the motor apart and see if I can do anything with it. If I can't do anything with it I am going to take it to a shop somewhere and get it fixed. It looks like a hard working machine. There is one other person on here that has one just like this one. I seen the photo in the albums. Thanks for your help, I am going to look at the tutorial and see if I can learn anything, Granny
I missed this the first go around... when I brought my Kenmore home, the motor smoked and I stopped immediately, and called Guy Baker to get a replacement motor. This is why I love Guy Baker...he told me to run the machine and "let `er smoke...it's NOT going to catch on fire, it'll just stop if the motor's no good." , and he refused to sell me a motor until I'd done just that...after just a minute or two, the oil/dust/whatever that was smoking was gone and that motor has run like a top since then....
So...run your machine....I'm betting that it stops smoking quickly and that you have one devil of a workhorse!