Kenmore 117-959 help please

Old 09-25-2015, 05:31 PM

Default Kenmore 117-959 help please

I'm having a terrible time trying to thread this tension system.
Top has flat tension I've never seen before, and the bobbin goes
in something nicknamed a "wishbone" bobbincase.
I've cleaned, oiled....New needle, New thread in bobbin....

I have the original manual to follow, but the picture is hard to see
exactly where thread path is...and written description isn't helping
me. I tried web search, found a few sites but it still isn't clear
enough to get it correct. Machine runs beautifully, smooth, strong
and amazingly quiet.
I'd like to get it running so I can donate it to the senior center....
They desperately need a machine.
Thanks so much
Mish k in NJ
Old 09-25-2015, 11:09 PM

I have a Franklin 117 and am attaching a picture of the bobbin case instructions from a manual.
The part shown at 1 and 2 is a simple slot. The part at 4 is actually 2 layers of metal which form the
mechanism to squeeze the thread. At the position shown at 3, there is a small opening between
part 4 and the bobbin case where you pull the thread from position 2 in a down and toward the
front of the case to get it under a small pointy tang to get the thread between the 2 layers of metal
in part 4 and coming out the top of 4.

The easiest way to thread the top is left handed. Pull the thread from the spool, through the top guide and
down toward the bottom of the head. The chrome tension mechanism has a tang that faces front. Take the
thread under the tang from Front to Back, then up to the take up arm. Then go down to the little metal guide
loop on the left side of the needle and through the needle hole.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]531842[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails fr_bobbin.jpg  
Old 09-26-2015, 03:53 AM

I found that the "Franklin" manuals can sometimes be better than the "White" counterparts. I know that was true for one of the Whites' top tension thread guide. The Franklin manual had a better picture and description then the actual White manual. Since these machines were made by White, you may have better luck searching for loading White rotary bobbin instructions. To get you started there is this one - http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...c-t172420.html

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:23 AM

I'm not familiar with that particular model for the upper threading so maybe a 480x640 (preferable for those of us still on dial-up) picture of the machine and faceplate would help.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:29 AM

Great thank you for the info. I'll give it another try....
I'm not able to get any pictures uploaded and haven't
figured that out yet....
Mish k in NJ
Old 09-26-2015, 06:18 AM

I did a search for your model it appears that at least part of the upper threading is similar to the Franklin Rotary. It appears similar to page 7 of the pdf that you can get from ismacs.
http://www.ismacs.net/domestic/manua...anual-1926.pdf - That seems to be at least a better image of the threading. That is the one I used and had to read it several times & try it several times before it finally "clicked" (both actually and figuratively) to get one of the Whites threaded.

While searching, I also saw that there is a youtube video of threading that particular model, but since I'm on dial up - I don't know how good it is or if it would help you. I also saw that sewusa.com has a threading diagram for 117.591 I think there should be a little wire spring/eyelet (behind the flat metal piece) that it needs to hook into before coming out at the top and seems to have a definite sound when it catches it.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
I found that the "Franklin" manuals can sometimes be better than the "White" counterparts. I know that was true for one of the Whites' top tension thread guide. The Franklin manual had a better picture and description then the actual White manual. Since these machines were made by White, you may have better luck searching for loading White rotary bobbin instructions. To get you started there is this one - http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...c-t172420.html

That is a VERY good link. That one taught me how to thread a White style tension on the first try. (On a Kenmore 117.959 even.) I think I had gone so far with the idea of 'thread one point at a time' that I held down the thread against the machine with a finger and did not allow more than a hand's width of slack in the thread. For the tension I was holding the thread higher up the face plate, and I swung the thread very close to the flat of the face plate, towards the back, like a pendulum, and it swung right into the tension. Then the 'pendulum' angle changed as the thread started to catch the first part of the tension, it took a little harder pull (still going towards the back of the machine) and it clicked so I could feel and hear.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:45 PM

Default Funny coincidence -thanks Quincunx

I was browsing the local thrift store and happened upon a 117.959 today in a cabinet with a couple of bobbins and a couple spools of thread. I had to test your instructions for the upper tension. Worked smoothly - first try. I probably should have tried the bobbin, too. But I didn't remember the proper sequence.

Mish, sure hope it works for you - Did you say you actually had the manual? I know there are a couple of places on the board for instructions on posting pictures and I think one may even tell how to reduce the picture size (to save time loading and particularly for those of us living in the dark ages and have dial-up)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 09-27-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:11 AM

Thank you to everyone for the helpful information...
and pictures of threading....This machine is up and running
making beautiful stitches. It is now happily residing in the
Senior citizens center, where the sewing circle will use it to sew
all kinds of charity items for many groups. They were so happy
when they saw my husband rolling it in, in a cabinet with a chair included.
One lady remembered sewing on one. Sew, its in good hands. LOL
I'm almost wishing I kept it....but I've got enough for now, and I am on the
continual hunt for a working treadle....that will be a long wait I'm sure,
But what fun searching!! Thanks again, you all are great....

Mish k in NJ