Kenmore cams

Old 02-27-2024, 12:50 PM

Default Kenmore cams

Are these the correct cams for a Kenmore 158.17800? I cannot get them to engage.
Attached Thumbnails img_0361.jpeg  
Old 02-27-2024, 12:53 PM

If they are correct, can someone explain in very simple language what needs fixing. My DH tried and he said it looked like the ball on the cam spindle should go in and extend only to hold the cam in place. We can’t get it go in so the cam will slide all the way on
Old 02-27-2024, 02:26 PM

Those sure look like the right cams.

There should be a lever on the front right side of the cam compartment that needs to be pushed to the right when inserting cam. Then you need to make sure the retaining pin on the cam holder goes into one of the holes in the bottom of the cam and then push down.

Do you have a manual? There is one available, even though not real clear.
https://s-ish.com/wp-content/uploads...7861_17862.pdf
The instructions for inserting the cam on page 41 of the pdf.

I'm not sure if this link will work to the page for instructions on inserting the cam. (it looks like it does) https://html.scribdassets.com/47oliz...eed8e9efa8.jpg

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 02-27-2024 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:02 AM

Janey, thank you for your response. I printed out the manual some time ago but it seems like the information on the cams is not that important an issue overall. Seems like an add on, like “Oh, I guess we should say something about cams here”. LOL. I realize that not all the machines had cams so that is probably why.

The problem with my machine is that the cam will not go all the way down on the cam shaft even with the lever pushed to the right and the cam fitted into one of the holes. It doesn’t lock down and pops back up.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:47 PM

Default Cams for 158950

We have replaced our mid to late 60s Kenmore 158331, with an another of approximately the same age a 158950. I am looking for the right cams. There are several sets available on eBay. Most appear to have 2 rows of teeth and I am only seeing 1 cam follower on the 158950. Does this sound correct? Is there a way to identify the correct cams?

If there is a better place to post this let me know and I will move it.