Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Kenmore Chainstitch Attachment Question. >

Kenmore Chainstitch Attachment Question.

Kenmore Chainstitch Attachment Question.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:48 PM

Default Kenmore Chainstitch Attachment Question.

Hello!
I just recently added a Chainstitch attachment to my collection along with a full set of cams, monogram templates and several high shank feet.

My question is about the chainstitch attachment. Theres the little black metal insert that goes on the needle plate, and then the metal gizmo that fits in the bobbin area. Now my little metal plate doesnt fit my machine but the silver gizmo does. Can one use the attachment without the black metal plate and just keep the original needle plate insert installed?

thanks
Old 08-09-2015, 07:59 PM

As far as I know, you need a Kenmore that takes the needle plate inserts (there are several models that use an insert. The inserts are for straight or zigzag stitching....little round hole on one end & zigzag slot on the other You just remove them & turn them around for one or the other. There are also several different inserts for various models). So what I'm saying is if your machine doesn't have an insert like this for regular sewing (in other words, just has the standard 1 piece needle plate), the zigzag attachment won't work.

I have a 158.1755 that has one type of needle plate insert for normal sewing....& here it is http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENMORE-NEED...item5b02724967 It does really nice chain stitching. If your machine normally has one of these inserts, you might just need a chain stitch kit with a different insert. And yeah. the silver gizmo will fit anyplace a class 15 bobbin case does.

Last edited by path49; 08-09-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:08 PM

ah, cool i have two different types of inserts, of course both of them dont fit my machine. lol thanks.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by foufymaus View Post
ah, cool i have two different types of inserts, of course both of them dont fit my machine. lol thanks.
I had the same question as you ,for the same reason as you .my plate didnt fit my machine and Im happy to report that with the regular needle plate and bobbin attatchment ,it still made a chain stitch