Lap quilt questions

Old 06-04-2012, 12:30 PM

Default Lap quilt questions

My wife is busy making shopping bags for a BIG upcoming craft show in IN. I've been sticking the machines I've worked on in front of her so they'll get a work out. Yesterday she went from her old favorite 538 to a 4622. Today I put Mr. Crinkle in front of her. Mr. Crinkle is a 1938 Singer 99-18. She immediately griped because it's not a ZZ machine. Just can't satisfy some people. I told her I'd get her a ZZ to use.

OK, I had an idea. For the craft show, I though I might put together a couple lap quilts. Not much time, but if I could get a couple made, it might be worth while.

So my questions are:
A: What is the normal size for a lap quilt?

B: If the quilt was made from say 6" squares, with batting and a flannel backing and just simple quilting, what would a good reasonable price be?

I know it's a lot to ask, but I don't know any body else to ask.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 06-04-2012, 12:42 PM

I try to make a lap quilt according to the size of a person...my son is 6 foot tall, so I made the quilt 6' long. I make them about 48" wide.

Ok...spill the beans...which craft show is she doing in IN? Shipshewana? or Valpo popcorn fest? I do the shows in Indiana occasionally...mostly IL.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:48 PM

Like stitch in the ditch quilting? Even faster would be tieing them if they're denim etc. I don't tie quilts as I love the quilting process, but would make it easier and you could charge less for less time involved. Something to consider.

I don't know what others do for lap quilt measurements, but we are small people in our household. I make them smaller than twin size, but larger than a crib. I think a general guideline would be around 50" X 72" plus or minus an inch or so. I usually let the quilt I'm making decide the final measurement and I can add to it if it's not large enough with a border.

Most people say charge about 3X your material costs.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:50 PM

Susie,

She's doing the Three Rivers Festival in Ft. Wayne this July.

Joe
Old 06-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

As mentioned, it depends on the lap. I use however wide the fabric is for the width (40-44?) and generally go for 60 in length if it's for a nap/couch size. If it is for senior lap quilts or wheelchairs, I do them 40X40 or however wide the fabric is squared. Flannel is a great fabric for the back because it keeps them from slipping off. As for price, it's hard to say. Small quilts or baby quilts are just not selling here even priced at $30 which just covers the supplies.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Susie,

She's doing the Three Rivers Festival in Ft. Wayne this July.

Joe
Hmmm...I'll have to look into that one. It's probably the same weekend I'm in LaGrange. Thanks...(What part of central IL are you in?)
Old 06-04-2012, 02:03 PM

The Three Rivers Festival for the crafters market is always the second full weekend in July. This year it is the 14th and 15th of July. They also have an antique market on the other side of the crafts at the same time. Then the festival runs till the next Sunday with other venues.

We are in Springfield currently. Looking for a better place to live..LOL

Elaine ^.-.^
Old 06-04-2012, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
The Three Rivers Festival for the crafters market is always the second full weekend in July. This year it is the 14th and 15th of July. They also have an antique market on the other side of the crafts at the same time. Then the festival runs till the next Sunday with other venues.

We are in Springfield currently. Looking for a better place to live..LOL

Elaine ^.-.^
Thank you for the info...my show is the same weekend...that is probably why I never looked into the three rivers show.
Nice chatting with you...
Old 06-04-2012, 02:14 PM

Joe, lap quilts are kinda all over the place, but I usually make them about 52x52...they are after all mostly throws for the couch. That's a good size...not too big, but big enough for 2 people sitting cheek to cheek to throw over themselves to watch TV.

BTW, (waving) Hi, Elaine!! Nice to hear from you!! :-)
Old 06-04-2012, 02:49 PM

If you're looking for quick and easy, I'd go with rail fence. You can make the squares 12" and do a 48 x 60 . . . and use up all your scraps.