Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Look what followed me home this weekend >

Look what followed me home this weekend

Look what followed me home this weekend

Old 04-07-2014, 01:27 PM

I found what I was looking for - this is for a 15-88 and 15-89 from 1936.

I knew I had seen the stand in a manual somewhere . . .

Old 04-07-2014, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
That is a nice machine. I don't think it's a refurb. I think it's a 66-18 treadle. It's way to nicely done to be a refurb.

The oval gadget you bypassed with the belt is the belt derailleur. You should have run the belt through it. There should be a spring under the derailleur holding it with the oval away from you. If the spring is not there, I don't know where to suggest getting one.

I have a 66-1 ( converted to low shank feet ) in a cabinet exactly like yours. My derailleur spring was missing too and I ended up having to go to a shop in Australia to get it.

Joe
Yep, that's the word! The Derailleur. I knew what it was/is and it's intended function. Knew I would have to rerun it through but remember I said I was just too excited and wanted to pedal her! Lol. The reason I waited is because the spring is there, but it currently has no tension, just twirls around in place and I don't know how to make it function? I can run the belt through, but don't see how that's going to really do anything with the spring.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:32 PM

Thank you Cathy....that is exactly what I have out in the garage but can't get to, lol. Exact same cabinet with the 15-88/89 in it. Also a lovely treadle. In fact I didn't really want this machine when I was talking with owner via e-mail but I wanted the cabinet. Not excited about 66's. However once I got this home I now love it! She is smooth, quiet and gorgeous.
Are you looking for black side face for 66?
Old 04-07-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Your machine never had a motor, keep in mind you live in an area where Amish still use treadle machines, and there are rural ares that didn't even get electricity until mid 40's. My home did not have electricity until about 1930 - it took that long for the Power company to get all the poles run . . .

That style treadle cabinet is quite late, not what I'd consider "early treadle" by a long shot. I have one out in the shed - the wood has very heavy water damage but the base is fine. It came with a slightly earlier model 15 (without crinkle finish) we put a motor on it and gave it to a 12 year old budding seamstress (in a small cabinet) and she is very happy with her machine.
i was sure too it never came motorized. The finish is perfect all the way around. Funny about this particular treadle.....it actually came from Tennessee. Owner said her mother in her late 90's brought it to Iowa a few years back when she moved from her ancestral home. Well I thank her because she took loving care if it!
Old 04-07-2014, 01:44 PM

What's with the white stitch regulator on these crinkles? Seem sooooo out of place in the midst of all that dark black!
anyone have any history on that? I see Cathy yours has the same so I know mine isn't some oddity or replacement.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:47 PM

Sure wish I was aging as gracefully as this 70 year old gal. But then maybe I haven't been oiling myself enough!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
What's with the white stitch regulator on these crinkles? Seem sooooo out of place in the midst of all that dark black!
anyone have any history on that? I see Cathy yours has the same so I know mine isn't some oddity or replacement.
I bought a 66-18 at an estate sale that had the white stitch regulator. I had to look up a picture online to see if that was how it was supposed to be.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:33 PM

Beautiful sewing machine!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:34 PM

Beautiful. Enjoy your new baby.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
I bought a 66-18 at an estate sale that had the white stitch regulator. I had to look up a picture online to see if that was how it was supposed to be.
Mark is it the black crinkle?