Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Looking for help for a Deployed Soldier >

Looking for help for a Deployed Soldier

Looking for help for a Deployed Soldier

Old 05-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
I also thought 99, but it is heavy. Aluminum 201? Singer 301 - although I've never seen one with a hand crank. Elna Grasshopper would be ideal, self contained with the case also being the table, sturdy, has a low gear, but heavy. Not sure if it could be fitted with a handcrank. The candidate machine probably needs to have droppable feed dogs for darning. I don't know if a Singer 127/128/27/28 has feed dogs that drop, but this can a be hand crank. Geeze! A Pfaff 130 would fix anything, can be handcranked, but heavy and wouldn't approve of sand. I have seen Singer 221 Featherweights with hand cranks, but as you said, not cheap unless somebody donates.

I have seen a handcrank 201, awesome machine. a bit heavy.

The 99 is actually pretty reasonable weight wise once the motor is gone as well.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Banned

Ok Folks. UPDATE TIME.

I have had offers on a couple 99's (Thank you) I have decided to go with that model.

I am planning to take the two machines and make a "best of both" machine and a backup machine. Depending on how Kevin wants/needs to do on this, I will ship both or keep one here for him.

Once I have the machines here I will post updates to the thread.

As far as helping with the shipping costs, that is awesome! Once I find out if I am shipping one or two, and how much it will be I will let folks know.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Banned

I sent an E-mail to Kevin about what we are planning and I just received this reply from him:

Wow Steve, that truely is amazing. Please pass along this message.

I am genuinely touched and honored by the kindness of your community. I would have never in my life expected such generosity and selflessness from strangers. The thought is truly humbling.

My grandmother was a great woman, and one of the things she did her entire life was welcome and support Soldiers. She opened her home and her heart to many, many servicemen- I can see this same spirit and honor in you. People like you are the reason that I joined the Army, to serve and protect those that keep the American spirit that makes our country great- not to seek glory, but to express gratitude. I am simply a man doing a job, "a warrior, nothing less, nothing more."

Below is my address. I will make sure that anything sent this way will be free and available to anyone who needs them. Please feel free to pass along my email address, or send me those of these people- I wish to personally thank them. If they are interested, I will maintain communication, and send pictures and share my journey.

I also highly recommend using US Postal Service flat-rate boxes, as they should easily be the most cost-effective way to ship.

SPC Anderson, Kevin
TF White Currahee
Fox (C) Co. / Afcop Sabari
FOB Salerno
APO AE 09314
[email protected]

Again, thank you.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Banned

Translate: You people rock!
Old 05-02-2013, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mom3 View Post
Steve,

I converted my 99 from electric to HC with an original Singer HC. It works like a dream - but - I would think a HC ZZ machine be better for uniform repairs(?). I'm not sure what vintage Singer ZZ machine to recommend for conversion to HC though.....
The first darning I ever did by machine was on my featherweight,... just straight stitching back and forth, it's still holding on the knee of a pair of my favorite jeans. Now that I know how to fmq though, I would almost suggest a darning foot if he's going to darn with a SS machine. I'd be happy to send one, but I wonder if there's a point in sending it to Steve first, because from Canada it will take 2 weeks to get to Steve, which could hold the whole process up. I would be happy to send it directly to Kevin.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
... I'd be happy to send one, but I wonder if there's a point in sending it to Steve first, because from Canada it will take 2 weeks to get to Steve, which could hold the whole process up. I would be happy to send it directly to Kevin.
That sounds good to me. I'd suggest we wait until the machines are ready and then swamp him is stuff... hehe
Old 05-02-2013, 11:42 AM

Steve,

lol... tailor sailor just won't work for his unit! "Stitch Bitch" is perfect for the branch of service he is in... It is going to cost postage as well... I the picture you posted is nice... but nicer if he was in a picture looking over his homeland...

pm anytime!

Shirley " girliegirl"
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
so, it turns out that it is ok to say where he is in that photo.

It is overlooking Bäk, Khost Province Afghanistan.

GirlieGirl: you rock! I think we can get it done from this end but should the need arise, I will remember your offer!

I actually have the two old singers and I am pretty sure that the hand-cranks from those would work on a 99.

My daughter overheard me mentioning converting a 99 to handcrank and shipping it to my student overseas and she though I was referring to the new 99 she just bought from Cathy/Mizkaki! hehe she was not amused!!
(Cathy - after completing her first project on her new 99k she is in love with it and wants to sell the Riccar ZZ...)

Thanks everyone for the input. I e-mailed him about this thread and it really seemed to give him a lift that folks cared enough to help. he replied "tell them I said I really appreciate this! The whole unit will appreciate it. I'll probably end up the units "stitch bitch" (sorry, his words... I'm working on civilizing him... I replied to him that the word is "tailor")

Just out of curiosity, I asked him how many troops in his unit could run a sewing machine. Still awaiting a reply.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:48 AM

Well, he will need some sewing notions to say the least! lol....
Old 05-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by girliegirl View Post
Well, he will need some sewing notions to say the least! lol....
Yep, I'm making a list of accessories/feet as well.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Yep, I'm making a list of accessories/feet as well.
This may help you get started:
http://www.tfsr.org/pub/technical_in...ist%202012.pdf

The same site we use to fix our sewing machine gremlins...