Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
looking for new home for old sewing machine >

looking for new home for old sewing machine

looking for new home for old sewing machine

Old 05-20-2022, 07:18 AM

Default looking for new home for old sewing machine

Hello, I'm looking for advice/direction in finding a new home for my Grandmother's Singer 201-2 sewing machine. She was a seamstress and the original owner, and after she died, it came to my home as it had special meaning to me (she taught me to sew on it, and she sewed my prom dress on it.) Unfortunately, my good intentions to use it remain just intentions and I'd like to find someone who will appreciate it and use it the way it was meant to be used (not as a table).

None of my siblings or cousins are interested in keeping it and I don't know of any local groups I could approach about it. I live in Minnesota and would love to find someone nearby who would give it a good home.

Thank you for any suggestions

Old 05-20-2022, 08:56 AM

Where are you located? If relatively close, I would love to add this machine to my home. I am approx. 30 miles west of Minneapolis off hwy 7. Thanks! Sara
Old 05-20-2022, 09:14 AM

A location would be helpful. Lots of quilters love the old 201's. I'm sure if you contacted a quilt guild in your area or even a quilt shop, they could help you find a home for the machine
Old 05-20-2022, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Minnesewta-sam View Post
Where are you located? If relatively close, I would love to add this machine to my home. I am approx. 30 miles west of Minneapolis off hwy 7. Thanks! Sara
Hi Sara! I'm in Brooklyn Park, so not too far. I wasn't expecting to find someone here who was interested, so that is awesome! I realize now my post wasn't clear, that I am planning on selling it, I just wasn't sure where to go. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear in the post. I'm hoping for a fair offer, but finding a good home for it takes precedence over the sale price. Let me know if you are still interested and I can get you some pictures.

Stacy

Old 05-20-2022, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
A location would be helpful. Lots of quilters love the old 201's. I'm sure if you contacted a quilt guild in your area or even a quilt shop, they could help you find a home for the machine
I live in the northwest corner of the twin cities, and I've contacted a couple quilting groups, but I didn't think about a quilt shop. Thank you for the suggestion!
Old 05-20-2022, 04:29 PM

I don't need it, but it will be a great machine for someone. I bet you could post it at SR Harris's store. Lots of skilled sewing people pass through there everyday.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:26 AM

I usually post on Craigslist.org. I had a 15-91 that needed a home. I posted on CraigsList for $50.00. When she showed up, I gave it to her. I've sold several machines using craigslist. The most I've ever gotten for one was $150.00 for an old Pfaff. I would never post one for free if I wanted it to get a good home (except here or victoriansweatshop.com). I would be afraid it would be sold for scrap metal.
bkay

Old 05-22-2022, 04:30 AM

Hello. I’m new to this board as of today. It must be fate because I’ve been looking for a 201-2! I’m in the twin Cities and would dearly love to give your machine a new home. Please let me know if it’s still available.

Last edited by Vicki Di; 05-22-2022 at 04:33 AM.
Old 05-22-2022, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Minnesewta-sam View Post
I don't need it, but it will be a great machine for someone. I bet you could post it at SR Harris's store. Lots of skilled sewing people pass through there everyday.
Thank you for the suggestion!
Old 05-22-2022, 05:05 AM

Question

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I usually post on Craigslist.org. I had a 15-91 that needed a home. I posted on CraigsList for $50.00. When she showed up, I gave it to her. I've sold several machines using craigslist. The most I've ever gotten for one was $150.00 for an old Pfaff. I would never post one for free if I wanted it to get a good home (except here or victoriansweatshop.com). I would be afraid it would be sold for scrap metal.
bkay
That was my worry. Someone took a friend's sewing machine and turned it into yard art. Kind of cool for a machine that doesn't work, but sad for one that does.