Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Looking for a Singer Attachment - anyone has a spare one ? >

Looking for a Singer Attachment - anyone has a spare one ?

Looking for a Singer Attachment - anyone has a spare one ?

Old 12-15-2013, 05:24 AM

Here is a comparison of the two. If you are looking to buy, most sellers don't have a clue what they have, and will say things that are obviously wrong if you know what you are looking for.

Here are both plates. If it does not have that rounded edge, its not going to fit a 66/99 (not if it's Singer, maybe some aftermarket one will, but I've not seen one ).

This is the issue - the hooks on the back side are too far apart on the straight edge style to fit on the needle plate of the 66/99.

This is the machine that plate was made to fit on - a 101. I've got the manual, this part came with the standard set, it's suppose to fit that way.

However because Singer was diligent about putting holes in exact locations - you can fit it on the 201, 15 and 115. For all this style Singers, the distance from the edge of the needle plate to the needle hole and then to the second hole (and even to the bed holes) is exactly the same.

Here is the larger plate on a 15. You can see how the needle plate is quite a bit bigger - but it does fit just fine.

And the proper plate on the 66. It is the same size as the needle plate and covers it completely.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:43 AM

OK, now I definitely want a 32622 plate. That would be a lot of fun to play with.

Cathy thanks for taking the trouble to post those pics. I saved them for reference.

I'll have to check my LSMG tomorrow and see if he has one.

Joe
Old 12-17-2013, 06:53 AM

I am also wanting to try FMQ on a 15-91 and was looking for a plate to cover the feed dogs. I looked for plates in various attachment boxes and in the box for a zigzag attachment I found this plate. It has a SIMANCO # of 121309 and fits the 15-91 perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails photo_1.jpg  
Old 12-17-2013, 07:28 AM

That's a neat looking piece. I wonder what machine it was intended to fit? A shuttle machine, maybe?

Joe
Old 12-17-2013, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jassinc6 View Post
I am also wanting to try FMQ on a 15-91 and was looking for a plate to cover the feed dogs. I looked for plates in various attachment boxes and in the box for a zigzag attachment I found this plate. It has a SIMANCO # and fits the 15-91 perfectly.
15-91 feed dogs drop by turning thumb nut on bottom of machine so you don't need the cover plate. Googled 121309 Simanco part number and it's for the FW----sweet.

Jon
Old 12-17-2013, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
15-91 feed dogs drop by turning thumb nut on bottom of machine so you don't need the cover plate. Googled 121309 Simanco part number and it's for the FW----sweet.

Jon
what about the 201-2, do they also have a drop feed dogs?
Old 12-17-2013, 01:30 PM

that is the FW plate - and yes, it will fit just about anything else too. By itself, it often sells for over $30 (darn FW people overpay for stuff all the time!)

When I FMQ with the 15, I drop the feed dogs and it works just fine. I use the hopping foot from Sew Classic too.

And yes, the 201 drops the feed dogs too.

That is why you don't find feed dog cover plates for the 15 and 201, but you do find them for the FW, 66 and 99.

It's kind of a pain to drop the feed dogs as you have to tip the machine to get at the screw on the underside.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
that is the FW plate - and yes, it will fit just about anything else too. By itself, it often sells for over $30 (darn FW people overpay for stuff all the time!)

When I FMQ with the 15, I drop the feed dogs and it works just fine. I use the hopping foot from Sew Classic too.

And yes, the 201 drops the feed dogs too.

That is why you don't find feed dog cover plates for the 15 and 201, but you do find them for the FW, 66 and 99.

It's kind of a pain to drop the feed dogs as you have to tip the machine to get at the screw on the underside.
The zigzag attachment box I found this plate in came with a FW. I'm wanting to do FMQ and I'm trying not to frustrate my efforts more than necessary, hence my thought for just covering the feed dogs. LQS = Lazy Quilter Syndrome.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:02 PM

I bumped this old thread back up because it has lots of good information in it about my subject. My wife and I took a few minutes to play with the darning foot #86294 mounted onto our 1901 Singer 27K2 Convertible Hand Crank Treadle. I’ve been wanting to try the foot on the 27 and on my handcrank 28 for a while to see if it would work. It may have been the only darning foot available back in 1901 when our 27K2 was made, if the darning foot was even available back then. To keep our use consistent with early 1900s use, it would be fun to use a foot that may have been used back in the early days of our machine. We don’t have any kind of a feed dog plate for it, and I don’t recall ever seeing a cover plate for the model 27 or 28 machines. A cover plate, with its hump up over the feed dogs, would allow the darning foot to make contact with a surface on its down-stroke earlier, which could change the action of it compared to ours.

The 86294 darning foot replaces the needle clamp for mounting. It seemed to mount just fine on the 27, and held the needle just fine. We forgot to set the feed length to zero, so we were fighting the feed dogs to move the fabric sandwich. And having to treadle the machine at the same time was interesting to say the least. As novices with the 27 treadle (I can do slightly better with my Singer 31-15 industrial treadle, and my wife has very little treadle experience of any kind), we had a giggling good time with the “rub-your-belly-and-pat-your-head” disconnection that we found ourselves having. Stitches were inconsistent, we let the machine reverse a time or two breaking our thread, and we bent a needle trying to move the sandwich while the needle was in the sandwich. I have to remind myself that there is a world of difference between the old term of “darning” and the new term of FMQ. If I’m not mistaken, darning used to mean putting a large amount of stitches in a small space to rebuild missing fabric, whereas FMQ means to space stitches out evenly without getting multiple stitches in a small space. I don’t know that this foot #86294 is the best foot to use for FMQ.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine552t_23.jpg   machine552t_24.jpg   machine552t_25.jpg  
Old 09-06-2014, 05:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
I bumped this old thread back up because it has lots of good information in it about my subject. My wife and I took a few minutes to play with the darning foot #86294 mounted onto our 1901 Singer 27K2 Convertible Hand Crank Treadle. I’ve been wanting to try the foot on the 27 and on my handcrank 28 for a while to see if it would work. It may have been the only darning foot available back in 1901 when our 27K2 was made, if the darning foot was even available back then. To keep our use consistent with early 1900s use, it would be fun to use a foot that may have been used back in the early days of our machine. We don’t have any kind of a feed dog plate for it, and I don’t recall ever seeing a cover plate for the model 27 or 28 machines. A cover plate, with its hump up over the feed dogs, would allow the darning foot to make contact with a surface on its down-stroke earlier, which could change the action of it compared to ours.

The 86294 darning foot replaces the needle clamp for mounting. It seemed to mount just fine on the 27, and held the needle just fine. We forgot to set the feed length to zero, so we were fighting the feed dogs to move the fabric sandwich. And having to treadle the machine at the same time was interesting to say the least. As novices with the 27 treadle (I can do slightly better with my Singer 31-15 industrial treadle, and my wife has very little treadle experience of any kind), we had a giggling good time with the “rub-your-belly-and-pat-your-head” disconnection that we found ourselves having. Stitches were inconsistent, we let the machine reverse a time or two breaking our thread, and we bent a needle trying to move the sandwich while the needle was in the sandwich. I have to remind myself that there is a world of difference between the old term of “darning” and the new term of FMQ. If I’m not mistaken, darning used to mean putting a large amount of stitches in a small space to rebuild missing fabric, whereas FMQ means to space stitches out evenly without getting multiple stitches in a small space. I don’t know that this foot #86294 is the best foot to use for FMQ.

CD in Oklahoma
Interesting commentary CD. I've got one of those feet but I've never tried to use it. I also found it interesting that it was original to a 101, I've always understood it to be original to a FW from what I've read on the Vintage Singer Yahoo group.

Cari