Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a spare sewing machine

Question Looking to buy a spare sewing machine

Hi, I would like to buy a new machine as a spare. I have a brother VQ2400 that I really like and a Janome 500E for embroidery. I would like something that is portable, not straight stitch only I have been spoiled with having a thread cutter, start stop button, variable stitch control so would like those features if possible.
    Any ideas? I have used the search feature but still confused by all the options.
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I love my Janome gen...it’s great for travel also
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

When buying a machine, I've always started by going to my favourite dealer, with my list of this is what I want and ask for their recommendations. Nothing saying you are going to buy!

Give them a test drive and see how you like them.
    If you are ready to buy, go for it.
    Otherwise, go back home and do your further research.
    A lot of the manufacturer sites let you build side-by-side comparisons.

One thing to take into consideration ... if you stay with the same brand as your DSM will you be able to use the same feet and other accessories? Or are they incompatible? That can make a big difference to the cost of the machine in the long haul.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

If you are happy with the brother line look to runway...if janome look into their smaller, light weight offerings....

Thanks for the ideas. I just got back from my local dealer who sells Bernina, Viking and Pfaff. I was hoping to see the eversewn sparrow 30 since it has all the features I want and is in my price range. However, the lady was adamant that I wonít like it and they donít carry it because though made by the company that makes bernina it is nothing like it. She wants me to get the Pfaff passport 2.0 (in my price range but no thread cutter) or 3.0 (out of my desired price range but has a thread cutter).
    Any ideas?

Blog Entries
    I would stick with either a Janome or Brother that will allow feet & bobbins to be used by both your new machine and one of your current ones.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    do not compromise on the thread cutter.
    i tried that once. really did ... because of the cost savings between with and without.
    couldn't stand going without it. sold with "without" and shopped around until i found a "with" in my budget.

this is the machine i bought. i paid less than today's going price but it has so far proved to be worth every penny. the only thing i've found to complain about is that it does not go easily over bulky seam intersections. i've had it for more than 3 years, so that's saying something.

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-PC420...unway+PC420PRW
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

[QUOTE=QuiltE;80

One thing to take into consideration ... if you stay with the same brand as your DSM will you be able to use the same feet and other accessories? Or are they incompatible? That can make a big difference to the cost of the machine in the long haul.[/QUOTE]

two pieces of good advise. usually machine cost includes lessons at the store of purchase. and some stores offer other benefits with purchase.

I've got a Brother that weighs 11#, very easy for travel. Travel machines take some abuse so get one that is well constructed. it's in a travel case, i had hand surgery and can't to it.

I'm not comfortable with the fact that the the dealer seemed to tell you what you wouldn't like. I hate when people assume they know, especially if they are pushing me to something in their own interest. Sounds like she is pushing you toward a Pfaff w/o a cutter, neither of which is something you're looking for. She doesn't want you to buy something she doesn't stock....hmmm.

I'm not sure I could go (happily) back to a machine w/o a thread cutter. I think I avoid my backup machines for that reason. Stick to your guns on what's important to you. I would choose a machine with compatible bobbins, at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Mombygrace View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. I just got back from my local dealer who sells Bernina, Viking and Pfaff. I was hoping to see the eversewn sparrow 30 since it has all the features I want and is in my price range. However, the lady was adamant that I won’t like it and they don’t carry it because though made by the company that makes bernina it is nothing like it. She wants me to get the Pfaff passport 2.0 (in my price range but no thread cutter) or 3.0 (out of my desired price range but has a thread cutter).
    Any ideas?
    that would not fly with me! just ask the appliance salesman that told me what kind of washer I wanted! There are a lot of good machines out there in every price range. The internet is a good place to start comparing machines, some online stores have the ability to compare machines. I bought my Juki 2000 on Amazon at a great price after comparing machines both in-store and online, as well as talking to people that owned similar machines

I agree. I will be visiting another dealer who stocks viking, pfaff, juki, eversewn and babylock about 45 minutes away.

Leah day did a nice video review of the evergreen and now sells it. Www.leahday.com. Several of my quilting friends got the passport with the thread cutter. And none of them is happy with it. There are three of them. Various complaints
    Alyce

I have all Pfaffs and a FW. Love them.
    If I needed a different machine to take to classes & such.
    If I was on a tighter budget I'd look for a nice used machine.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Blog Entries
    I agree with PaperPrincess...if you stick with a manufacturer of a machine you already have, the accessories might be interchangeable plus you would be already familiar with the buttons.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Since you already have the Brother VQ2400 tkae a look at the smaller Brother machines. Like Patrice, I have the Brother PC420PRW. It is light enough to carry to classes, etc. has the thread cutter, start stop button, variable speed control, programable needle up or down, and also Has beautiful decorative stitches, as well as utility stitches, fmqs beautifully and comes with a hard case that provides great protection when travelling. It also has other neat features that you have on the VQ2400 like pattern mirroring, the ability to combine decorative s5itches or to create your own decorative stitches, presser foot pressure is adjustable which is helpful when sewing sheer or heavy fabrics. It is the same machine that used to be sold by the dealers as the NX400.

They can be usually be found in the $400-$600 range, though I got a second one from Home Depot this past fall For $320.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Blog Entries
    My primary machine, a Viking 6430, and all my backup machines are vintage. I do have a new Janome, but I only used it a month or so. I don't like the fact that I have to reset it every time I turn it on. With my vintage machines, I can just sit down and start sewing.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

We have about the largest quilt shops in Florida near me- not a dealer, except she carries the Sparrow now. We can use it for classes if we need to and it's really a sweet machine with a lot of features for the price. I'm a Viking/ Babylock girl, but I'd buy the Sparrow for a back up in a heartbeat!

Right now Baby Lock has a special on the Anna which is a pretty basic machine with the options you list. The Anna is $199 and the Molly is $299.00. These prices will be good until the 31st of May.

If built-in thread cutter is a priority, the Brother 420 is a great choice...the Pfaff Passport 3 has that feature as well as the Janome NQM2016..really a great machine with adjustable pressure and 60 or so stitches. Many people use the Brother SE400 or SE425 for purpose of travel/toting. That one does offer embroidery but the sewing side of it is stellar..and it does also have an auto-cutter..smaller than the others mentioned and lighter too. Those models tend to be built more solidly than some others in that price range so definitely worth a look.
    mea

Eversewn Sparrow 30 has all the features you want. Excellent machine and won't break the budget.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I bought Brother i6000, on the advise of a quilting friend. IT IS LIGHTWEIGHT. about 10 pounds. Perfect to transport.

Has many stitches. I purchased online from Walmart. Check internet pricing, it is cheaper than in the store.

Just checked Walmart online. This machine is now on sale $139, marked down from $169.
    Last edited by trolleystation; 05-10-2018 at 07:42 AM.

I love my Janome NQM2016, which is similar to the Janome 3160 and 4120 machines. They all have the thread cutter and are easily adjustable in terms of stitch length and width. Great 1/4" seam too! This is my class machine, and is lightweight. I previously had a Janome Gem and found it was too lightweight. When I brought it to classes it tended to move around as my project got larger and got tippy too.

Blog Entries
    Several of my friends have a Brother SQ9285, a Sewing & Quilting Machine, from Wal-Mart for about $200. It's a good little machine for the money. It comes with the extension table, 1/4" foot, walking foot, needle threader, and many features. It's a good buy for the entry level quilter or for one to take to class.
    AudreyB
    Those who sleep under quilts are covered with love.

I second the brother pc420. It would be what I choose if I needed the thread cutter
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Since this is a " second" machine, l would consider something lightweight( 10 lb)so it could travel to quilt group work bees etc. The Brother 6000i has an extension table, a perfect scant 1/4" ( stitch #37), had lots of stitch options, easy to use without continuously looking up things in a manual, and does a great fmq stitch. The one l bought my daughter even came with a hard cover and a walking foot. All for well under $200! No, it has no thread cutter or knee lift, but as a second machine, it's terrific.The throat is small, at 5 1/2", but it can handle wall hangins, table toppers & baby quilts. There are some cool dress making features as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast