Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Loud noise from 15-91 in body area >

Loud noise from 15-91 in body area

Loud noise from 15-91 in body area

Old 06-07-2020, 01:13 PM

Default Loud noise from 15-91 in body area

Hello,

I just picked up this machine and did all the oiling, cleaning and lubing per the tutorials here and video found online. I have 2 issues that I can’t figure out and hope you can help me.

1) There is a noise coming from the body area where the stitch length lever is. All the hardware is tightened and oiled, but I can’t figure out this noise for the life of me and when the machine is at an angle the noise goes away.

2) The stitch length lever bounces around. Not sure what’s happening there.

Please take a look at the video to see what I’m talking about.

https://youtu.be/IhSzkT6bszI

Thanks for your advice.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:05 PM

Maybe someone else has had a similar problem with a 15, the closest I have had is packed up dust under the throat plate, it sort of gives similar problems with stitch length and lever. Regardless, since it's a newly required machine I would keep on oiling every joint, hinge and gear; if you are lucky the trouble might be caused by a stuck part some where. I would pay particular attention to every link from stitch length lever to feed dogs; repetetive oiling, and investigating under good ligh conditoins, like torch or reading lamp.

A dry machine can need quite a bit of oiling to run well again, I have had to keep oiling for up to four days to free up a machine and it was just a bit sluggish to start with. You might need to get the hand wheel off to get to the grease parts behind the hand wheel, there is a worm gear that needs to be checked. Poke a tooth pick down the holes on top, and make sure you detect all the oil points, it's easy to miss a few. Every part where metal moves against metal needs lubrication.

Last edited by Mickey2; 06-07-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:39 PM

I cleaned out the throat plate area so I don’t think it’s that. I’ll give the oiling a go and see where it lands me. Thanks for the quick reply.

if anyone else cared to chime in feel free. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:58 PM

Looking at the video, the position of the feed forked connecting rod and the feed regulator (stitch length mech), it looks off. Binding can occur when the shoulder of the slideway part of the feed regulator is pressed against the feed fork. Hopefully nothing is damaged and merely been took apart and reinstalled out of balance. Hope this helps.

ps: what you need is the 15-91 adjusters manual

Last edited by Hooligan; 06-07-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:06 AM

The only issue I had with a 15 was actually two broken pieces. I know this is a far shot, but.....
Old 07-06-2020, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lky_3 View Post
I cleaned out the throat plate area so I don’t think it’s that. I’ll give the oiling a go and see where it lands me. Thanks for the quick reply.

if anyone else cared to chime in feel free. Thanks.
How is the machine now? Did oiling fix for you?