Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Machine back from a service but.... >

Machine back from a service but....

Machine back from a service but....

Old 04-18-2018, 01:51 PM

I ensured the stubby screw was fully tightened Leon but it hasn’t made a difference.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:51 PM
Banned

I would take it back to the repair person and ask that he/she fix it like they were supposed to in the first place.

Cari
Old 04-18-2018, 01:53 PM

It’s very difficult to see into that screw hole but there doesn’t seem to be anything at the far end other than smooth metal.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:55 PM

Cari has a point. She usually does. BTW in your before pic the numbered ring and thumb nut should be parallel to the tensions discs. Yours was tilting. Tricky to get all those bits in correctly.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:12 PM

That was before the repair Leon, the knob couldn’t be turned. It seems nice and straight now and will turn but the slack thread isn’t tensioned with the spring.

Goodnight, will check in again in the morning.

i thank everybody for their help.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Aquilegia View Post
the thread tension spring still doesn't work, he said it wasn't necessary, but I'd really like it to do it's job.
I've had the tensioner apart, I see a cog inside and all it does is go round and round, should it be static does anyone know please?
Did you get sample of stitches when you got it back?

I've tried to follow this thread, but I'm still not sure what is happening. I'm wondering if an old style (for unnumbered unit) check spring was used. If you look at file titled "The tension mechanism" at the site http://web.archive.org/web/201610160...achine_manual/ I suggested in the other thread, it shows both styles, but not the inside of the check spring for newer style. I took my 66-18 numbered tension assembly apart. I didn't remove the whole thing so I wouldn't have to mess with the set screw. Here is a picture of the inside of the check spring that goes into the machine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]593168[/ATTACH]

The part of the spring that goes straight inside the spring will go in one of the sprockets.

The pdf that I referred to before shows that the old style just has rings that is held in place by the shoulder when it is screwed in. On page 2 of "The tension mechanism" look at image #9. There is a little ledge cast into the body of the machine that the spring has to be to the left of when you put the rest of the assembly on your machine.

Hope this helps.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

ETA
You might want to look at https://www.singer.com/sites/default...%20Machine.pdf page 6, I think is the pdf page that shows the tension assembly removal a reassembly of your tension assembly. You may have to rotate the view to be able to read it correctly.
Attached Thumbnails 66-99-checkspring-number.jpg  

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 04-18-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:50 PM

Yes Janey, got a sample of stitches and I've done some myself, came out nicely.

My spring is the same as in your picture.
Does your cog part turn or is it static please?

I don't have any problem getting it all back correctly, have watched a few YT videos on that.

The pin that goes down the centre of the unit doesn't have a flat end as shown in pics I've seen, I suspect it may have snapped at some point.

Thank you for your time.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:17 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]593173[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]593174[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]593175[/ATTACH]

Just taken these pictures. The cog inside on the centre picture just rotates, surely it should be fixed to allow the thread spring to keep that bit of tension on the thread?
Attached Thumbnails img_0006.jpg   img_0005.jpg   img_0007.jpg  
Old 04-19-2018, 01:42 AM

I did it!

I took the barrel out, loosened the screw at the back end, pushed the stud fully in and while I held it in place my husband tightened the tiny screw and now the spring is working.

Thank you all for your time and patience.

Last edited by Aquilegia; 04-19-2018 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:12 AM

The whole tension stud was loose? The repair guy should have noticed, but I'm happy to hear you have managed your self. I haven't had the stud out on my 99, just the assembly parts that go onto it. I assumed it was something slightly out of order, since these parts usually lasts.

FREE Quilting Newsletter