Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 06-06-2015, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
how did that dark area turn out ?
It's kinda went back to the original birthmark status. That's ok the inside surface has plenty of scarring from it's long lifespan. It will get rubbed out a bit with Bri-wax but I think this could be IN the grain of the wood.

I so want this last layer of shellac to go on well and unfortunately as I worked on the side of the desk I boogered it up. There's nothing to do but let it continue to dry right now and pray I can smooth it without marring it badly. I have found with each successive layer the color deepens and if I have to remove a errant drip by sanding it's hard to get an even color.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0774-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 06-06-2015, 02:07 PM

Very fine sandpaper on a sanding block to flatten things out followed by 0000 steel wool and a nice paste wax on everything will give it a nice silky feel and a satin sheen.
Rodney
Old 06-07-2015, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Very fine sandpaper on a sanding block to flatten things out followed by 0000 steel wool and a nice paste wax on everything will give it a nice silky feel and a satin sheen.
Rodney
Wax and steel wool is the plan for once it's cured. I finally finished the Shellac last night. Phew! It feels so good to get that part done! It's been a couple weeks of one thing after another so it took much longer than it should have.

Now I will be antsy in the wait time before I can finish it up. I personally don't love the look right after the shellac. It is garishly shiny IMO. (Hubby loves it lol) Once it's waxed and rubbed down with the steel wool I know I will like it better. I did that on my hand-crank's base and it really gave it a nice mellow glow.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:44 AM

I’m fiddling with my Singer 301-2 (longbed made before the use of the letter “A”) to make it non-electric. It’s an old used and somewhat abused 301 that I’ve had stashed in the attic at the shop. I like my Singer 221 Featherweight handcrank so well that when I learned that Scott over at bishopsewingsystems had begun making his little handcranks for the model 301, I had to get one to try it out.

I’ve only pulled the motor and changed out the handwheel clutch knobs so far. I still need to fully service the machine, but I shot some oil in it to begin playing with the crank. The machine weighs just over 14 pounds with the motor out, but the light and all of the wiring still in. My Featherweight weighs 9 1/4 pounds with the motor off, wiring in, and a battery-powered LED light clipped to it, so it’s significantly lighter.

I don’t know if there will be much advantage in the 301HC over the 221HC, but something may turn up. If a person only had a 301, then the crank would be more of an advantage. The two most common uses that my wife and I use our electric 301A for is quilt block piecing and FMQ. The 221HC will fit the bill just fine for piecing, and I doubt that we’ll ever try to FMQ on the 301HC. I can picture it now....me trying to coordinate the crank while she moves the quilt sandwich....

We work together well, but I’m not sure if we could work together THAT well.....it could be fun just for the giggles though. It might be an entertaining 2-person team contest to FMQ a potholder or something at a sewing get-together sometime. Probably ought to take along some Bandaids just in case.....

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine261_16.jpg   machine261_17.jpg  
Old 06-07-2015, 06:16 AM

That's pretty bizarre looking! It sure would be a light weight without the motor though!
Old 06-07-2015, 12:20 PM

My latest Singer Industrial Treadle that I got at an auction a few weeks ago has been patiently waiting for me to clean it up and put it into service. I’ve yet to get it cleaned, but I couldn’t resist setting my Singer 96-40 in it today to see how things will look and make sure that the knee presser bar lift is in the correct location for this machine. I have no idea what industrial machine was last fit into the stand (came to me with a household MW electric machine set in it), so I was pleased to find the knee lift in the normal position and working fine with the 96-40.

You can’t see it in the photos, but the rear extension leaf is present and in good shape too. The slide rods are rusty is all. I’m building this unit up to be a treadle darning machine to try treadle FMQ. My 96-40 is already set for the task, with a high shank hopping foot, the feed dogs removed, and a blank needle plate (no feed dog slots). The wife said it wouldn’t pick up the lower thread the last time that she tried to use it with a little electric motor on it, so I still need to check into that. I’m hoping that it’s something simple like needle orientation, but I haven’t looked at it yet.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine583t_07.jpg   machine583t_08.jpg  
Old 06-07-2015, 01:29 PM

CD, that looks as though it will make a Dandy FmQ machine, nice long arm and large Harp, and plenty sturdy for any "sandwich" you can get in there. excellent idea.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:40 AM

My new belt arrived so I worked on my FW this weekend. Got her all cleaned up and freshly lubed, put the new belt on, everything is moving so nicely and no nasty surprises. Final thing on the to do list before she goes to work was to adjust the bottom tension; I'd noticed it was completely loose. Figured out why...the tension screw is missing! Dangit, wish I'd noticed that before, now I have to wait for another order to arrive and pay shipping again. For one itty bitty screw. D'oh!

I've resisted so far but starting to really see the benefit of having a few "donor" machines and spare parts around! Come to think of it I should have ordered two screws. "One to use and one to lose," right? LOL At least it was an easy part to find online.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
"One to use and one to lose," right? LOL At least it was an easy part to find online.
I don't throw out trashed bobbin cases since they hold the spare screws and springs... much easier to find
Old 06-08-2015, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I don't throw out trashed bobbin cases since they hold the spare screws and springs... much easier to find
Goodness yes! I say 'If it comes off, it gets lost.' I mostly mean it for things like feet and cams, water bottle caps and bike helmets. There is a very good reason why both my wallet and my phone have chains - not so much to prevent theft but to literally tie them to me or I'll leave them behind!

FREE Quilting Newsletter